Model Rockets Capable of Reaching Outer Space

I take it this was the serious part of the sentence.

I take it this was the funny part of the sentence.

Be careful what you wish for :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

how about a quote on those three min dia S motors first ? sounds like a Scout to me.

snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net>...

Reply to
AlMax714

We don't need no stinkin quote :)

Jerry Irvine

No. Value is added by having a viable payload not a low cost of production.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's right, From Kranz's book: Program alarm 1201 didn't call for an abort in the "mission rules", although they did incorrectly call for an abort due to one in simulation. 1201 is "Executive overflow - no vacant areas". It means that the LM computer was overloaded and didn't have time to complete all it's jobs. The jobs were prioritised though, and the mission critical jobs were still being done.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Right on, Alex. There are some excellent HTML copies of NASA histories on their web site. I've downloaded them into my ebook reader and enjoyed them for a long time. I also bought an ebook copy of Gene Cernan's "The Last Man on the Moon," which I highly recommend; very readable, and full of details that we space freaks really dig.

To my mind the peak of gutsiness was Gemini 6, when the Titan lit but shut down just before the holddown bolts blew. Wally Schirra could have pulled his eject ring and blown them out of there. His mission clock had started, which was supposed to be a sign of first motion...and if that Titan was not attached to the pad, it was about to crumple into a fireball. But he went with his gut, or actually the seat of his pants, which told him there was no motion. I love the story, as an example of someone knowing that the right thing to do at that instant was exactly nothing, and doing it.

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

I have a little more information on this, from the horse's mouth.

I asked General Tom Stafford about this incident last spring, when he gave a lecture in San Diego. Though much of what you say is true, to Tom Stafford the big thing was that liftoff could only be communicated to the astronauts BY another astronaut. He was watching the base of the rocket, and watching for sufficient motion to call "liftoff!" to the astronauts. Since he didn't call it out to them, they were fairly certain that it hadn't occurred, and this was one of their main reasons for deciding to stay put. BTW, this is one reason why the astronauts insisted that CapComs be astronauts (according to General Stafford).

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

$100,000--it

Let me know if Ashcroft pays for them. If he does, I'll take the shipment and worry about building a rocket for them when I get them.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3

Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

It would be funny to invoice him if only to see his reaction. If he was not such a facist I would probably do it just for giggles.

I am a Republican too. And *I* am calling him a facist.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I used to be, but I've been cured. The last little bit of republicanism that might have been left in me has been driven out by asscrapt.

Bob Kaplow

I love the

Ah yes, the Jerry Irvine Tee-shirt marketing model.

:) steve

Reply to
default

Wanna try again? T-shirts for sale.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Bragg has a history page devoted to his effort. I'm sure he would be delighted to hear about someone who actually built a working radar to track rockets.

Reply to
Zack Lau

Cool! Thanks for the insight. I have read elsewhere that the astronauts made sure there weren't fifteen different people trying to reach them at once...all speaking a slightly different version of NASA English. I love listening to the transcripts. Translating the acronyms is more fun than a crossword puzzle.

Reply to
Doug Pratt