Re: TAM 5 did it!!

COOL! Waiting for the movie now!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If I was there, I'd buy Dave a pint or two of Guinness Stout!

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Flying Gators R/C______/ \__Gainesville FL _________/ Visit my Web Site at:

Lyman Slack

RATS! Maybe next time they'll make it all the way.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

He is a pattern flyer, those fun-fly spot landings were never his strong suite.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

"Red Scholefield" skrev i meddelandet news:SHTZa.81$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.atl.webusenet.com...

And what a pattern too... 2000miles straight...

Reply to
GuW

Just seen a news article which gives a little more info at;

It seems there was just 51.1ml of fuel left which would have lasted only another 40 minutes. Close or what?

Reply to
John Privett

wow, .51 ml, thats pushing it to the limit lol , thanks for link,

Reply to
Tony Law

I'm beginning to wonder what happened to the webpage, been 12 hours now and no update to page, seems like it got lost more than the plane did lol

Reply to
Tony Law

I thought Dave Brown wrote a column warning us against supporting the development of models flying under GPS control.

Now he lands the first one to make it across the Atlantic under FAI rules.

I guess I must have misread the column.

My own totally amateur opinion (TAO) is that the US has little to fear from fleets of hobby-sized airplanes darkening our skies. The U.S. military has already shown what technology can do with RPVs (UAVs) and cruise missiles. I doubt very much that any terrorists have been watching TAM with bated breath, hoping that its success will spur their R&D programs.

But I've been wrong before and I guess I'll be wrong again.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

only in Canada's Globe&Mail newspaper, which did a awesome full feature on it today, with pics , everything, i will keep the paper, heres a link to article

Tony Law

Don't joke about it, rocketry has had major restrictions placed on it by Homeland Security. An attempt to exempt rocketry in the senate is being blocked by senators from NJ (Lautenberg) & NY (Schumer). They think hobby high-powererd rockets can be used to make guided missles, and that APCP propellant is explosive. So it wouldn' surprise me if Asscroft, Ridge, etc. considered this a threat, however absurd.

Ed NAR #75824 AMA #695644

Reply to
Ed

He was referring to the peasants of modeldom, Marty. Not the elite.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I've found a few more links to reports of the flight;

John Privett

You haven't been very well informed. The FAI S8E class is one example of this.

Rob G

Reply to
Rob Glover