Quickburst shut down by BATFE

Apparently, Quickburst is no longer allowed to manufacture or sell igniters or e-matches by order of BATFE.
From Website http://www.quickburst.net /
"All
Due to recent developments with the ATF QuickBurst is no longer allowed sell igniters. The ATF classifies our igniters as low explosives and we are no longer allowed to manufacture or sell them.
With luck, we will be able to manufacture igniters and offer them to LEUP holders in the future.
David Bachelder DBA~QuickBurst"
Les Kramer
Since igniters are now being classified as low explosives, where does that put Estes, whose igniters are included with every motor pack sold nationwide in virtually every Wal-Mart and hobby store?
Does Wal-Mart have a company-wide license to sell low explosives?
Does Wal-Mart demand LEUP's from customers purchasing Estes motor packs, with their included igniters?
Wal-Mart had better get its lawyers together FAST on this one, before the BATF comes down on them hard.
Malcontent wrote:

It was pointed out that Estes sells igniters. They said that they weren't igniters even though the package calls them igniters.
You can get the story from Quickburst here: http://www.rocketryforum.com/printpost.php?s=&threadid0002&postid48930
-Aaron
Aaron wrote:

What a bunch of winkies they are.....reminds me of my kid when he was two, kicking and screaming when he didn't get his way......I see many more pingpong balls being sold in the future. ;-)
Chuck
This is not a new "thing". Jim Turner (RIP) would only ship ignitors if you also ordered stuff with the proper paperwork. (like AT reloads).
This was pre 9/11.
Doesn't surprise me that the BATFE is cracking down on stuff.. And I don't think that they feel they'll lose against NAR/TRA in October..
It's the same stuff that prevents us from taking a can of Coke on a plane these days. Things are getting tight.
Ignitors, are, well ignitors.. And might warrant regulation.
But understand, in the current world, a can of Coke is also regulated...
You don't like it, then vote out the Republicans this fall. Remember the "patriot act" that really amped up the regulation of rocketry!
Chuck Rudy wrote:

Then he must've forgotten to check my paperwork when I scored a bunch of kick butt fire in the hole igniters circa 2000.
Still got a few left. Fantastic for small composite clusters.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
AZ Woody wrote:

Nice spin. When the facts aren't on your side, just lie and scream "Patriot Act!"
House Bill S.724 - which would have removed many of the onerous regulations on this hobby - was put forth by a Republican, Sen. Mike Enzi.
It was shot down largely due to efforts by senators Charles Schumer and Frank Lautenberg, both leading Democrats.
(Don't let these facts cloud your opinions, though.)
AZ Woody wrote:

Our problems with the ATFE started long before the Bush administration. The problem is not political, it's bureucratic, the people in the ATF feel the need to do SOMETHING to justify their jobs
Acknowledged! -Larry (just wanted to use a dandy new word I made up) C.

AZ Woody wrote:

It doesn't surprise me either, since this was reaction was predicted a long time ago. As for whether or not ATF "feels" they will lose in court, I certainly think they are running scared. They've probably come to the conclusion that they can't come up with an objective, non-arbitrary definition of "explosive" that includes our motors without also including many other things. So now they're starting to crack down on other necessities of the hobby.

However, as with PADs, the ATF's definitions and enforcement are inconsistent and arbitrary. There is absolutely no factual difference between an HPR igniter and an Estes igniter, yet ATF treats them differently and even refuses to admit that -- as you say -- "an igniter is an igniter".

Wrong again. The Patriot Act had nothing to do with it. It was the Homeland Security Act/Safe Explosive Act. And if you think the Dems would be any less restrictive of our freedoms, you're living in a dreamworld.
writes:

Except all the illegal crap in the 'patriot' act was written under the Clinton / Reno administration, but they couldn't get it passed. 9/11 was an excuse to ram police state legislation through congress with virtually no objection. Those who voted for it should be charged with treason.
And if you think the democrats will solve this problem, then you're just plain stupid.
AZ Woody wrote:

Right. And then you'll get lower taxes and free health care for everyone.
IIRC the lawsuit was filed while Clinton, a Democrat, was in office. I also recall the biggest opposition to the failed exemption for hobby rocketry came from democrats.
Neither party is going to "save" the hobby. Unless it gets them votes, which it will not.

The only party that would help our cause is the libertarians.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

NOT to be confused with liberals!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Or the Librarians.
http://www.sirius.com /
Fred Shecter wrote:

Good one :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Bob Kaplow wrote:

How? Which Libertarian Senators (or candidates for that matter) will "out" the members of the Judiciary Committee for blocking attempts to exempt hobby rocketry from regulation?
Are those crickets I hear?
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:43:38 -0500, Alex Mericas

What about the Libertine?

HERE HERE! I too vote Libertarian....they are the only party we can trust to keep sensible regulations in place and to throw out the silly ones. I truly think if more people heard the message the Libertarians would begin to win major political offices. Unfortunately, the dominant parties have written the rules so as to squelch any real threat from another party.
Craig
writes:

But the libs are a meaningless voice in getting things done. There are two parties right now in the real world.
The Repubs have been backing Bush on really stupid stuff, as they control the house and Senate, though there seems to be a bit of a revolt with "redefine the Geneva conventions" thing.
Getting Dems into place will help in getting the congress back to the state where they don't do something too stupid on their own.
Right now, a vote for the libs, is a vote thrown away....