Quickburst shut down

The ATFE shut down Quickburst, claiming their igniters were low explosives and that they were manufacturing LE without a license. How are the Qb igniters different from Aerotech's Copperhead or FirstFires? Is a bridge wire igniter a low explosive when the same composition used as a conductive pyrogen is not? Or are they both? Or are both neither? Clarification needed.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

See the 9/16/06 thread here "Quickburst shut down by BATFE" Just above in this group.

Reply to
Kurt

Aerotech has a LEMP.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Yeah the issue is not "what is it made out of?" but rather "what kind of permit do you have?" Dave had a dealer's permit, while the ATF wanted him to have a manufaturer's permit.

To answer the question, QB igniters used a bridge wire design with a resin-bonded pyrogen.

Reply to
Brian McDermott

Or just below .

Depends upon your sort order. I prefer newest on top (descending Sent).

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Was QB shut down, or just there igniters? I understood all the chatter to be the former, to include a note from the owner that he was applying for the required permit...

Status?

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

sheesh... there = their...

Reply to
Duane Phillips

He got his LEUP in a matter of days. It's a miracle!!! Or more likely he'll be waiting forever and have to jump through a bunch of hoops and someone will ask the same question a year from now.

It's a little soon to be expecting status. The Feds are involved.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

"Brian McDermott" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

So once a mfgr has a LEMP, they can MAKE and SELL low explosives to anyone? But, no, you have to have a low explosives USER'S permit. So - Aerotech has a LEMP and sells/gives away igniters that have been ruled by the BATFE in another case to be low explosive. Now a lot of you are going to jump at this as being an accusation of AT - it's not. I don't think EITHER AT or Qb either one are/were doing anything wrong.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

You could check

and see what Dave says himself:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE buy other stuff from Dave! His Deployment bags are great! I used one on my L3 and I'm converting my smaller rockets to use them as well. His shock cords and streamers are very high quality. He'll custom make a streamer for you if you don't like the stock dimensions. Great customer service. Support him and he WILL survive.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Just the igniters. But since most of his business revolves around igniters...

Reply to
Brian McDermott

Aerotech has an LEMP.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:Sz889Fm+ snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

So are you saying that Copperheads and FirstFires are low explosives ? How can they sell them to users that don't have LEUPs?

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

I don't think anyone has said that YET. A LEMP allows someone to manufacture using substances that are listed by BATFE as low explosives. Something containing a low explosive might not necessarily be considered a low explosive after manufacturing.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Because they are part of a "motor assembly" and the individual igniter packs are "replacement parts." It's the same reason Estes can get away with it.

Reply to
Brian McDermott

Reply to
Chad Ellis

That's great! TO bad everyone else's experiences aren't similar.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to