No Large Solid Motors?

Mr Irvine's site mentions that due to Governmental doody they cant ship solid motors of the larger variety...is that just shiupping or a moratorium? can you go pick one up or not?

A friend got wind of my interest and told me that he knows of several industrial park shops that build boomers but they are so paranoid about the Government and people finding out...even with all the proper permits...is it really that bad?

Reply to
TheOutcast

Get a LEUP and go pick one up. Usually what happens is there are vendors at the launch site that sells them. I am lucky to have one of the largest dealers in the country (Tim Lehr) servicing my launch.

Reply to
Stephen

There are many reputable companies (Aerotech, CTI, AMW, etc.) which do not seem to have this difficulty, and have all the proper permits and licenses to make and ship hobby rocketry motors. I would suggest going to their websites for a slightly more "rational" take on things:

If you really want to fly HPR, I suggest you join NAR or TRA, join a local club, and get certification so that you can fly the "big 'uns".

Heck, just find a local club and ATTEND a launch, you don't even have to belong and fly to have a good time, and it's a great way to meet people and find out the answers to questions you have.

Reply to
BB

DOT shipping regulations require testing and classification of rocket motors in order for a manufacturer to legally ship them. If a manufacturer decides not to comply with this, or has problems getting a preferred lower-level explosives rating on the formulation, then they can't ship. You can pick them up though.

Recent changes in the law have made it more expensive to ship larger rocket motors. Model rocket motors with the correct DOT classification are not affected. There is an intermediate class of reloadables motors which Aerotech refers to as "Easy Access", having individual propellant grains with

Reply to
John DeMar

"To purchase and INDEPENDENTLY posses high-power rocket motors legally, you need an ATFE Low Explosives Users Permit (LEUP) and a means to store them (either your own approved storage magazine or permission from another person with an approved magazine). If you only *use* the motor at a launch under continuous supervision of a LEUP holder, then you do not need your own LEUP. Additional permits are required in California."

Sounds nasty...aren't we living in AMERICA?!?!?!?! dam...

I suppose going to a meet will clear up all these questions of LEUP acquisition and Cal. permits.

thanx for all the info guys!

Reply to
TheOutcast

snip

snip

Please quote the law that says I must have an LEUP to purchase high-power rocket motors leagally.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

The person selling them can't sell to a non permit holder.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

fixed the top posting

According to what law?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

This is false.

There isn't one.

Joel. phx

LEUPs are only required for explosives. If your high-power rocket motor propellant isn't on the explosives list, no LEUP required.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Absolutely! Flying with a club makes everything a lot easier and simpler.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I am confused and my brain hurts....

Reply to
TheOutcast

You've come to the right place!! Me too.....

J.A. Michel

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I'll second that thought.

Patrick

Reply to
IceAge

A little more clarification here. If your rocket motor propellant isn't on the list, you don't need an LEUP.

Don't fly APCP.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Welcome to RMR & HPR! ;O)

Reply to
BB

Why? There is so much of it and the permit is easy to get. If we make a video tape that will fit in your Betamax machine would that help.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Well, that is up to the interpretation of a powerful and unrealiable agency of the Federal government that could leave the burden of proof up to you. Nothing is risk free.

It's the most reliable and safe formulation for consumer rocket motors for both shipping and storage. It is also easier and safer to prepare and mix yourself compared bp and candy propellants. And it's much more efficient. All of these factors make APCP the preferred propellant for professional use, and likewise seems to make it an "item of interest" for the BATFE.

"A little more clarification here." ;-)

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

I nether wish to voluntarily pay extra taxes, nor be fingerprinted.

I don't think your betatape would fit my dvd player.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

"I nether wish to voluntarily pay extra taxes, nor be fingerprinted."

Then quit driving. I don't actually have a beta but figured someone who was asking for proof of laws several months into the new regs would probably have one right next to their Mac computer. Two highly used items by the text book non-conformist. I didn't have to get finger printed this go round because I didn't sit on my thumbs waiting for the deadline hoping for some relief like a dumbass.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis