interstate transportation of hpr motors

what are the current laws,regulations regarding transporting hpr rocket motors from one state to another.... especially H size motors......and J size motors....so called ez access.... the pro 38 H and J are currently ez access too ?

and if dealers sell ez access without a leup being required, then no leup would be required for interstate trasnportation?

a H128 has a propellant weight of 94.4g.. are there multiple propellant grains each less than 62.5g in size?

say from ILL to KY via IND say from OHIO to KY say from MI to KY

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Tony Alcocer said: I called the DOT this morning (909-937-3279) To see what they required in the way of permits or placarding. I did this in part becasue my ATF agent is gonna ask. I got ahold of Lee (ext 7224). I explained that I was in the hobby of sport rocketry and I wanted to know what they required in regards to DOT regs. He needed "UN" numbers which I was able to supply him with. I got them from Aerotech's web page. I gave him UN0351 which is for 38mm loads (class 1.4) I also gave him UN0275 which I believe is for 98mm loads (class 1.3) He looked them up to see what they were. He stated that since it was "for private use and not in commerce that the DOT did not require a permit or placarding"

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

if NPRM 968 goes into effect, nothing more than a single 62.5 grain G will be allowed. That's the CTI Pro38 133G69-12A and a consumer line AT motor (don't have the motor id, ... Bob?)

until then, EZ access is legal interstate (technically all APCP motor sales are legal interstate despite BATFE assertions to the contrary), if you can find a vendor that isn't taking a conservative approach to BATFE submission, er, "compliance"

no LEUP is required by law whether dealers require it or not, but there is nothing to compell them to sell you one if they want take a CYA approach. Personally, I do not condemn any who do, IMO it's a scary proposition having the BATFE shut down your business until you can make your case. That is not to discourage you from doing business with those who don't (require a LEUP).

[note that dealers should not be requiring TRA/NAR certifications for sale of motors > G if they and you are not in NFPA states.]

each grain, yes thats the so-called "Easy Access" (TM) line. Multiple grains totalling less than 62.5 grains, I don't think so.

in this August, 2002 announcement the BATFE speak as if NPRM 968 was already effective

]

"ATF does exempt from control sport rocket motors and rocket-motor reload kits containing small amounts of APCP or other similar explosives, however this exemption applies only to rocket motors containing up to 62.5 grams of propellant and to rocket motor reload kits whose contents cannot be utilized to produce a rocket motor whose total propellant weight is more than 62.5 grams. The 62.5-gram exemption does not extend to reload kits that can be used to create motors containing more than 62.5 grams of propellant or to propellant modules of any weight that are not part of an exempted reload kit."

the "Easy Access" is based on AT's assertion that their mutli-grain reload kits have been exempted.

from U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Flammable Solid Exemption for RMS Reload Kits at

]

--

12/21/93 The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has issued a fourth revision of exemption DOT-E-7887 which allows the shipment of most AeroTech RMS reload kits as flammable solids, class 4.1, UN1325. This exemption was granted December 6, 1993. A copy of the exemption is attached.

A significant advantage of the flammable solid designation over the previous 1.4C classification is that reload kits are now shippable by passenger-carrying or cargo-only aircraft. Both Federal Express and UPS one and two-day air shipments are authorized.

A secondary advantage is that the inner packaging requirements formerly imposed are superseded by restricted-quantity gross weight limits. Packages shipped under the exemption may not exceed 25 pounds gross weight when individual propellant grains contain not more than 30 grams of propellant and may not exceed 10 pounds gross weight when individual propellant grains contain not more than 62.5 grams of propellant each.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

He looked them up to see what they were. He stated

Good to know.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

A person can transport up to 1000 lbs. of class 1.4 explosive without a Federal DOT permit. You may haul up to 55 lbs. of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 explosive without Federal DOT permits. Pro 38 and 54 are a true class 1.4, I think I recall Anthony Cesaroni saying Pro 75 (98?) also got a true 1.4 rating, I could be wrong on this. All the other motors (high power, AT, AMW, Ellis) I am aware of are actually 1.3 that merely 'ship as' 1.4 if they are in their original stock packaging and boxes as submitted to the testing lab. Take them out of the original shipping boxes and they are 1.3.

This only pertains to the Federal laws, your local state may, can, and probably does vary, last I looked we had 50 of 'em, I'm too tired to look 'em all up.;-)

-- Woody - From the land of no real beer (UT)

Woody Wood