Justice Department Inspector General Report on BATFE iimplementation of Safe Explosives Act

Warning: 125 page, 6MB document

BATFE response to report:

David Schultz

Oh my, this is juicy stuff. I have just barely started reading it and I find:

"During a June 2002 congressional hearing, the Acting ATF Director testified that a library of explosives information is essential to ATF's ability to prevent and solve bombings and to trace explosive materials used in terrorist activities and other violent crimes by matching residue with the manufacturers samples."

"However, during our review, we determined that the ATF had only used its authority to collect explosives samples one time to collect a model rocket motor. The ATF had not collected any samples of ammonium nitrate. Moreover, the National Laboratory had only recently developed a systematic approach for collecting, analyzing, and cataloging samples of explosives."

This just reinforces the theory that the BATFE misused their new power in order to collect "samples" for something other than the purposes provided for in law.

Reply to
David Schultz

And for those of us too lazy to search through it ourselves, the relevant portions are???

David Erbas-White

David Schultz wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Could you post a few excerpts and an executive summary?

Please?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have to admit that IS really good.

It declares those samples "model rocket motors".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Maybe somebody should sue them or something.

Jerry Irvine

I would cheerfully submit samples to NL of APCP to determine if they are explosives or not.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

very interesting!! thanks for posting.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

I find it both amusing and interesting that the Dept of Justice IG uses model rocket motors as an example of how bad the BATFE is. I don't feel any safer now, if this is an example on how our federal law enforcement agencies are managed..or in this case..not managed.. Maybe now the dogs will be called off on the model rocket motors....nawwwww....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

more likely, BATFE will just follow the recommendations in the report and become the all new, improved, sensitive new-age agency.

(unlike NASA with CAIB)

...wake me, I'm dreaming!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Yup. They ATTEMPTED to use the samples, not to show that APCP is explosive, but that HPR should be regulated by the DOT instead of the BATFE.

Bob Kaplow

Say, I had a thought a few weeks ago when the latest "cancer causing rocket propellant found in water" scare hit the streets. Of course we all know that it isn't rocket propellant (APCP) at all but AP itself that *IS* an environmental issue. It seems that surplus AP left over from government contracts is finding its way into the water supply.

HPR is the SOLUTION to this environmental issue. Instead of stockpiling or scrapping the left over AP, sell it to one of the HPR manufacturers to make propellant for us. Every time we launch an APCP rocket, we are PREVENTING the polution of someones water supply.

Bob Kaplow

Not true. It is "perchlorates", the tiniest source of which is ammunium perchlorate.

Potassium perchlorate is used in road flares and these are used every day in large quantities (mostly by public officials!) and the residue (both burned and unburned), is regularly washed into the water table.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There is evidence of a natural atmospheric source of perchlorate. If true, this would no doubt make the EPA very sad to know that they can't tag someone with a cleanup:

Brad Hitch

Jerry Irv> In article ,

enforcement

causing rocket

ammunium

stockpiling or

religion, except

administration; or

Reply to
Brad Hitch

"big fine" GOD

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hi Brad,

the EPA read your post and turned it into a gentle 404

Reply to
AlMax

Yeah, I saw that it got cut off even though it looked OK when I posted it. You'll have that.

This reminds me of the EPA's mercury fixation. Never mind that mercury is a natural component of the Earth's crust - that's what you get for living on a pile of supernova refuse. What will they target next? Potassium 40?

Brad Hitch

AlMax wrote:

ric.html>

Reply to
Brad Hitch

No. Ultra-hazardous di-hydrogen monoxide.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

developed a

Wow, they are really fixated on us. They don't bother with materials used to make real bombs in real criminal acts which have killed hundreds. Yet they have plenty of time to demand "samples" of model rocket motors and harass a handful of innocent hobbyists.

raydunakin

I told you so.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine