NASA and Safe Explosives

My understanding (corrections welcome) is that the Shuttle and perhaps the Delta booster SRBs use propellant not too different from our own composite engines.

Does NASA have to follow the restriction imposed by the new laws? I believe they're over 62.5 g; is all the paperwork in place? Is the fuel stored in an approved magazine? Have background checks been done on all the workers who transport it?

Or is this yet another case of the feds exempting themselves from their own rules?

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Yes.

No.

No.

Probably yes because THAT provision was installed 1-24-03 against the strong objection of DOT. DOT is suing ATF over it. It reversed 100 years of practice tat goods in transport and properly marked are exempt from explosives licensing.

Jerry

Yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes it is, and quite explicitly too. The military and other government agencies are evidently presumed to be unlikely to engage in "destructive misapplication of explosive materials". They don't have to get a permit to prove it.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

unlikely? You're joking right?;-)

Reply to
Stephen Gibbings

No, he's nhot. Remember a place called Waco?

Reply to
Ed

(Hastily donning asbestos underwear) Didn't they just blow up a large part of a middle eastern country that hadn't attacked us? Kind of destroys that presumption...

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Jerry Irvine wrote: > In article , > Scott Schuckert wrote: >

Old story. And resolved.

See:

"As a consequence, to the extent that persons are transporting, shipping, receiving, or possessing explosives incident to and in connection with the commercial transport of explosives by motor carrier, water, or air, those activities are not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. 842(i)."

Reply to
David Schultz

Thanks for the link David.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I seem to remember a few grenades were thrown into some "fellow servicemens" tents at the start of this last war. I think maybe he should have been forced to get a permit first.

Kenny Howerton

Reply to
Hawarden