staging timers pro's and con's on these two

Hello, I am looking for pro's and con's on two staging timers, one is the perfectflite MT3G and the other is Xavein XSSET 1, if anyone has
comments on either of these two, Thanks in advance, Le
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    I own one of each. I have never flown the XSSET (I just got it last week), but the Perfectflite unit has flown a number of times (perhaps 8 to 10), with a perfect record so far. I'm very confident in it. It does not accidentally trigger, and with a 9V Nicad it'll light igniters effectively. I've ground tested the XSSET a little - it also seems safe from accidental triggering, and I've popped a couple of ematches with it with no glitches.
- The two units are about the same size. - Both use the same screw-down connectors. - The MT3G announces power, settings and continuity through a beeper, while the XSSET uses onboard LEDs. I call that advantage for the MT3G. Those LEDs are going to require some kind of window in the side of the payload bay. - The timing on the MT3G is set by holding down a button for the time delay you want, while on the XSSET it is set through DIP switches. I call that advantage to the XSSET (though I haven't had any trouble setting the MT3G). - I haven't tried lighting high current igniters with the XSSET, but I get the distinct impression from the manual that it won't. Again, the MT3G does, without any difficulty. I know that might not be an issue, if you're already planning to use pyrogen-dipped ematches. Still, advantage to the MT3G.
Has anybody tried using a little bit of fiber optic cable to monitor status LEDs?
Send Steve an email to ask about the igniter issue. He told me that his cluster controller (with two 9 Volt alkaline batteries, I assume in parallel) will fire three Estes igniters. He's used one battery to fire one igniter. The XCIC and XSSET appear to use the same switching transistor. So, I'd guess they'd behave the same...     Will
Howdy wrote: ...

Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
I have no experience yet with the Xavien ,. i do have one of their dual event timers but have not used it yet.
The Perfect Flight is outstanding. However, if you have the attached G switch in place to facilitate the start of the timer sequence, be aware that you will need a substanstial motor to arm it. While it states "2 G's for .5 seconds", a longer burn motor is usually required. I have since replaced my G switch with a breakwire and have had outstanding performance ever since.
BTW , I HATE a breakwire set up unless the wire is broken at sustainer separation by either drag force or a separation charge!
Mark Palmer

I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents.....
Perfectflite makes good products, no argument about it. The audible beeper is a great idea on the MT3G, the current specs are definately "interesting". 1mS is not long enough to fire 99% of the e-matches and igniters on the market.
As for the XSSET-1, I like the DIP switch programming. The FETs I use are 31A, 55V parts, so current for most applications shouldn't be a problem. I have used the XSSET-1 and XCIC-1 for igniting 3 Estes style igniters using 2 9V batteries in parallel. Of course I don't recommend this for liability issues ;) (those Estes igniters are hogggggs)....
Both timers are good, if you fly in places where a beeper is handy then perhaps the Perfectflite unit is a good match, if you want simple time programming then go with Xavien. To be honest, these are the 2 main differences.......
I may be biased a little.....
Best regards, Steve
Steven Kosmerchock * XAVIEN * Phoenix, Az USA www.xavien.com snipped-for-privacy@xavien.com
OK, so I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents.
Most all ematches will fire in 1 millisecond. Especially when hit hard with more current than their minimum all-fire current, which is what happens when you connect a 9V battery to a 2 ohm load (4.5 amps vs. 0.5 amp typical all-fire). In this case they generally respond in less than 1/2 millisecond. That's why we spec out a 1 ms current rating for our timers, as well as longer duration current specs.
Other igniters like Aerotech FirstFire, Estes, etc clearly take longer to respond, as they aren't made the same as sensitive e-matches. That's why we list a different current spec for longer duration loads like this kind of igniter.
With a beefy enough battery, the MT3G will fire 50 ematches in parallel consistently and reliably. It will also fire 10+ FirstFire/QuickBurst style igniters, and 20+ Estes igniters simultaneously. In fact if you short the igniter terminals with a foot of 26 ga copper wire and use a 7.2V RC car NiCad pack, the wire "igniter" will disintegrate into balls of molten slag on time-out without damaging or warming the timer at all (no pyrogen, just copper wire!)
We also sell a high-current 9V NiCad that will fire 5 or more Estes igniters in parallel with the MT3G, without the added volume and weight of "doubling up" 9V alkalines.
Also bear in mind that some timers will reset and fail to fire if they are overloaded and the battery voltage drops below a certain level. If the battery voltage drops to an in-between value the FET can become unsaturated, causing immense power dissipation and failure of the FET. Our timers are not susceptible to either of these problems.
Setting the time delay with a simple button rather than a dipswitch offers several advantages that I am aware of: A much less limited range of time delays (0.6 second to over 6000 seconds in our case), better resolution (0.1 second steps in our case), and you don't need to refer to a manual to figure out how to set it. If you want 4 seconds, you hold the button down for four seconds. What could be simpler?
-- Peter Lawall PerfectFlite http://www.perfectflite.com