Re: NY Newsday (AP) rises to the occassion

God bless AP.

from >
security0729jul29&section=%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fnewyork%2Fpolitics > or
> Citing terror fears, Sens. Schumer, Lautenberg oppose loosened rocket > hobby rules > > By DEVLIN BARRETT Associated Press Writer > July 29, 2003, 4:58 PM EDT > > WASHINGTON -- A bill to loosen federal restrictions for model rocket > enthusiasts drew fire Tuesday from senators from New York and New > Jersey, who said the proposal would give terrorists access to > dangerous explosives. > > Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., criticized the measure by Sen. Mike > Enzi, R-Wyo., to change the Homeland Security Act to allow rocket > enthusiasts to buy black powder and another form of high-powered > rocket propellant without submitting to a background check. The act > was passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. > > Standing next to a seven-foot tall rocket, Schumer said the > legislation effectively would allow would-be terrorists to amass large > quantities of explosives. > > "Sometimes you see things in Congress that make you scratch your head > in wonderment," said Schumer. "This is one of those days." > > He and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., said passage of the bill would > allow terrorists to stockpile the same material used in the 1996 > Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta and a bomb sent by "Unabomber" > Theodore Kaczynski in 1985. > > The Justice Department also has opposed Enzi's bill, saying in a June > 10 letter the current regulations exempt 90 percent of rocket > hobbyists and require background checks only for those who use the > largest rockets. > > The Homeland Security Act requires the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and > Firearms to monitor the purchase and transfer of any chemical mixture > or device with the primary function of causing an explosion. > > "It's a sad state of affairs when we see a government agency and > senators go to such lengths to squash efforts to preserve a > constructive, educational and important hobby enjoyed by millions of > Americans," Enzi said. "My bill is not a license to build bombs, and > the senators know it." > > Tim Lehr, rocket manager at Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, Ill., said > the restrictions are killing the rocket hobby business and are an > unnecessary hassle for hobbyists. > > "It's going to put dealers out of business, period," said Lehr. He > predicted the hobby will die out within five years because no one new > will pick it up knowing the bureaucratic hurdles of background checks, > storage requirements and governmental oversight. > > Two rocketry groups, the National Association of Rocketry and the > Tripoli Rocketry Association, accused the senators of equating > hobbyists with terrorists. In a statement, the associations called the > issue "a prime example of the government overreacting to something > that is not a threat."
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Agreed.

I'm a bit confused as to why our organizations aren't going directly to the press just as Schumer and Lautenberg have. It's blatently obvious that they're using direct "news conferences" and any press that will listen, to spin this situation in their favor.

Granted, a rebuttal directed to either one of them would be the "gentlemanly" thing to do, but I sincerely believe neither one of them would really care. With some of the tactics involved, this doesn't seem to be a "gentlemanly argument" anymore.

FWIW..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

They get their good info from ARSA and the media page linked to ARSA.

NAR and TRA are inept. Probably good they are NOT talking to the press. They would probably claim the current LAW requires LEUP for over 62.5g APCP which is NOT (*NOT*) the case per 55.141-a-8.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

For that I do give him credit as well as the simple fact he posts here. Kudos indeed.

I disagree with many points of content.

Wickman does not at all. Let's be clear on that. He "delegates" to experts. Something 'Bunny" would do well to try more often.

Wicky?

NAR/TRA interfered with that. Other issues later piled on and here we are. It needed to be below the radar screen to succeed on that path.

He passed along "insider" rumours which of caourse were not true if for no other reason than lack of jurisdiction thanks to 27 CFR 55.141-a-8.

Agreed.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

At least he has a name, unlike the comparative deluge of anonymous posters trolling RMR lately.

No name = no credibility.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

When dealing with the ATF and their scumbag tactics you have to out-scumbag them. Most aren't willing to do this, as the ATF has no morals-conscience-truth-credibility. The two poor, dumb senators were fed bad ATF info. If Lautenburg and Shumer had half a brain they would have researched everything before putting their foot in their mouths. But then again.....maybe they DO have HALF a brain. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Who are you talking about? I must have had him in the killfile already!! ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Poor, dumb senators fed bad data? Oh, puhleeze!

Schumer in particular has a history of this very tactic. He's been practicing it for years in his vendetta against gun owners, the firearms industry, the NRA, and the 2nd Amendment in general. Don't think for a minute that he's unaware of being fed bad data; exploiting bad data to further his own agenda is his stock in trade.

-Scott

(snippage)

Reply to
Scott Oliver

Who would indeed be the question. How do I write a killfile filter for "those without names"? At least people could make up a semi realistic nom de plume, like "Chuck" or "Bill Schmitt", instead of silly stuff like "num knuts", "krAsH kersplat" or "John DeMar".

:-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

That would put them on the high end of the government intelligence spectrum.

Bob Kaplow

I am partial to "unbound quark" myself.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine