The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

I was looking at a "Model PL09564 PLUG-IN POWER MONITOR" on the web and printed out the product manual (one page), which I happened to have in my jacket pocket when I was browsing in Maplin later that day and came across the same product labelled "Model 2000MU-UK PLUG-IN POWER MONITOR", which I bought.

The two products' sheets are the same except for such substitutions as

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to Prodigit 2000M Plug-in power monitor.

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to PL09564 Plug-in power monitor.

and the captions under the figures ("Figure 1 2000M Front Panel"; "Figure 1 PL09564 Front Panel"). Both of them even have the same "Funcion [sic] Configuration Table".

However, the one from Maplin is rated for "Altitude up to 2000m", whereas the other is rater for "Altitude up to PL09564".

Reply to
Adam Funk

Hahahahahahaha! Form the PLeiostene period.

For a large database "replace all" is fine but chancy.

For as few changes as were in there, the guy should have stepped through them one at a time.

Still better than the old chinese translation motherboard manuals used to be.

Reply to
JackShephard

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

You're "that top post guy".

You forgot the apostrophe in "client's", dope.

Reply to
JackShephard

"JackShephard" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Aaah, but it might have been " clients' "

John

Reply to
John Nice

And you forgot the hyphen in the compound modifier "top-post" and apparently never learned where to place commas in relation to quotation marks, moron.

HTH. HAND.

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson

He put it in "90s" instead (conservation of mass).

(What do you want from someone who doesn't know how to post in the right order and in plain text?)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I agree about "top-post", but you'd better check up on the differences between the US and the UK in punctuation conventions concerning quotation marks, Kevin. Although I live in the US, I have adopted the UK convention myself. It's more logical than our standard.

Bill

---------------------------------------------------------------- Reverse parts of the user name for my e-address

Reply to
Bill McCray

I agree. I do the same thing. In all the years I've been posting in alt.usage.english and alt.english.usage no one's ever commented on this being wrong or different.

Reply to
tony cooper

Either they have you killfiled, or they're so distracted by your inconsistent use of whitespace after periods ("full stops" to the non-native English speakers) that

OHHH!!!! SHINEY!!!!

Reply to
John Schmidt

Nothing inconsistent about my use of periods. Bang the thumb twice on the spacebar after the period at the end of a sentence. Conditioned response to learning to type in high school on a manual typewriter.

No space after the mark in a newsgroup name. Nor should there be.

Periods are also a "full stop" to a native English speaker if that native English speaker happens to be from the UK.

OBaeu: What is the mark called in a newsgroup name? It's read out as alt dot english dot usage, but is there a name for it other than "dot"?

Reply to
tony cooper

Fred. As in, "At this company, you can name your salary. I've named mine 'Fred'."

Or maybe subcategory sepatator.

Mark Edwards

Reply to
Mark Edwards

When the English get all smug about how we spell color wrong or pronounce aluminum wrong or don't know how to use "shall" and "will" properly I just want to punch their smarmy English teeth down their condescending English throats.

But when it comes to punctuating in the proximity of quotation marks, they've got it right and I cheerfully defected to the enemy years ago.

Reply to
Doctroid

That's weird cos I get the same reaction when people generalise wildly by lumping all of us in with 'the English'. Please rephrase. "When an English person ..." or "When a person from England ..." will do nicely.

By the way, I don't imagine anyone's really ever told you that you pronounce 'aluminum' wrong or indeed that you spell 'color' wrong. What other pronunciation or spelling is there? Of course, you do spell 'aluminium' and 'colour' wrong but that's not important right now! ;c)

Reply to
Flying Tortoise

Handful of straw! HANDFUL OF STRAW!

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Don Salad

That's weird because I have no recollection of ever having lumped "all of you", whoever that plural you might be (I seem not to be very successful at reading your mind this morning) in with "the English".

Your lack of imagination is not my problem.

Reply to
Doctroid

Thanks for the helpful hint, Bill (if that is you're real name). I assure you that I was quite aware of the differences when I posted, and quite aware that you were posting from the U.S.

Particularly on a global communication medium such as the Usernet (TM), your use of the UK conventions is unremarkable, except when accompanied by a usage flame and name-calling, idiot.

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson

A popular urban legend (truthfulness unknown) is someone wanted to make sure a financial report was politically correct and they did a global search and replace. The result was that a profitable company was described as being "in the African-American".

Reply to
Michael Moroney

My parents named me William, but I choose to go by Bill.

I wouldn't have written except that it looked like you weren't aware of the difference.

Uh, what flame? And the only name I called you was Kevin. I think that was how your post was signed. If not, I apologize. However it appears that you have called me "idiot", which I think is uncalled for.

Bill

---------------------------------------------------------------- Reverse parts of the user name for my e-address

Reply to
Bill McCray