Help Installing EMON Submeter in Detached Garage

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the best way to install an Emon kwh submeter to monitor electrical usage in my garage. I bought a house with one attached garage and a second detached garage. I want to rent out the house and use the detached garage. I intend to run a couple compressors and use an arc welder, plus it has electric heat and A/C. Bottom line is that I want to rebate the tenant for the electricity I use in the second garage.

My main panel has a double 50-amp breaker that feeds the garage's sub-panel (3 - 6ga in 3/4" rigid pipe). The sub-panel holds up to six breakers and 4 slots are filled with 1-30 amp dual and 2-20 amp breakers. I would like to use the remaining 2 slots for the welder's breaker (50-amp dual).

The submeter is model 1000 for 2-line, 240v, 1-phase, 100 amp. The submeter must have 2 power feeds + neutral and must be powered by the line(phase) being monitored by the corresponding Current Transformers (CTs). The leads for the CTs can be up to 2000 feet long.

I can think of several ways to install the meter :

1) I can pipe in the meter on the house side from the main panel, add 2 15-amp breakers, run 14ga power to the meter (with 1-amp inline fuses), run the lines for the CTs to the main panel and install the CTs at the 50 breaker. Problem is, I want to be able to read the meter without going into the house. I don't think the meter is rated for the outdoors. Also, I don't want to tear up the family room to add the conduit or run it outside the house (a lot of work depending on where I finally put the meter).

2) Install the meter in the garage. Take up the last 2 slots in the subpanel with 2-15 amp breakers for the meter, install the Current Transformers in the subpanel and run power and the CT leads to the meter (not good cause then I loose the welder, but easiest). Or, I could upgrade the subpanel with one that has room for more breakers (not good - more work).

I don't think it matters if I install the current transformers in the main panel or the sub-panel. The current is the same in both places. Yes, the voltage drops at the garage but I am billed for watts-used which is the same(?). Probably not a big deal any way, even if it did affect the metering accuracy (

Reply to
John