The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

"He was Kurt Vonnegut who wrote Slaughterhouse Five"?

I think not.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

Oh, he was some other Kurt Vonnegut then? Which one?

-jwgh

Reply to
Jacob W. Haller

"JackShephard" wrote

No clu>*He* was Kurt Vonnegut.

Now waitaminute. Then WHO was Francis Bacon? Mmmmm! Bacon.

Mark Edwards

Reply to
Mark Edwards

Third base! And did you bring enough Bacon for everyone, young man?

Dave

Reply to
David DeLaney

In exactly what way is it possible for one to be "ignorant toward" something? Is English your first language?

You appear to have grossly overestimated your importance in the matter. Has this tendency to exhibit an inflated sense of self-worth caused you problems in the past?

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson

Right, as someone said, it was Steinbeck.

Loved your work on "60 Minutes", by the way.

Reply to
Doctroid

Buy a dictionary; I'm bored with you already.

I can only hope that you're posting either from the engineering or the religious groups; you obviously know nothing at all about the English language.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

I don't really care who wrote what; I was commenting on the lousy syntax.

I've got at least two minutes left in me.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

A 2-minute man, huh? Not really something you ought to be advertising.

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson

Can't explain it, huh? I see.

I'm posting in a Usernet chat room, same as you. Are you new to this stuff?

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson

That was David Helfgott.

Reply to
Tonto Goldstein

The one who invented Post-its.

Reply to
Tonto Goldstein

Everyone complains about taxes.

Reply to
Tonto Goldstein

"Mark Wallace" wrote

Well, sure after you go adding an extra claus to the end.

--oTTo--

Reply to
Otto Bahn

Oh! A troll-like response!

How surprising.

How about your giving an explanation for requiring me to discuss "ignorant toward", when what I wrote was "ignorance toward", troll?

Just bugger off, eh?

How un-troll-like.

I've been doing this since before Usenet was Usenet. Your use of "usernet" and "chat room" speaks volumes.

Mark Wallace

Size matters.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

I don't need to add an "extra" clause to "It was Kurt Vonnegut"; the "extra" clause is implicitly implied.

There does not exist a clause that begins with "It was Kurt Vonnegut" that does not require a dependent clause (whether expressed or derived from what has already been said). It is not self-contained or absolute.

If you can describe a situation where "He was Kurt Vonnegut" can be used to open a declarative concourse, instead of "It was Kurt Vonnegut", please let me know. You will have discovered something new about the English language, that billions of users before you did not know.

By the way, you need a comma after "sure", and an 'e' at the end of "claus".

Why do I even bother talking to these people?

Oh. Because Robbie's on sabbatical.

Bloody lazy shysters! Why can you never find one, when you need one?

Reply to
Mark Wallace

I, also, was not aware that ignorance was a vector quantity. Can I see the circuit diagram please?

last Friday?

Oh. Last August.

That's because of the new meaning-unpacking plug-in modules they're putting in newsreaders now. Kids these days ... why, there are people here who could tell you about reading news on an ABACUS.

Check me here, guys, is that a _challenge_?

Dave

Reply to
David DeLaney

Golly. I can see that you're a really clever chappie, and that I should never even try to discuss things with you.

'Bye, now.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

From where, to where? Are you sure you understand how these chat rooms work?

I think you mean "Usernet" (tm).

As does your response to my use of these two well-established and commonplace terms. Really. Volumes.

I would have to first begin talking about "things electrical" before I could go back to doing so.

BTW, are you sure you don't mean "electrical things"? Don't sweat it if that's what you meant. Lots of non-native speakers of English reverse the standard order of adjective/noun.

Reply to
Kevin S. Wilson