In search of a Bridgeport

Having missed out on the Bridgeport at one of my Toolmakers that closed down, I'm now looking for another one. I'm after a series 1, would prefer a step-pulley with 2 speed motor rather than a vari-rattle head, 42" table would be ideal, 48" too big.

I don't mind travelling about a bit to look at one, but it always helps if I could get a recommendation from someone who knows an owner or the machine history.

If anyone knows of one coming up for sale I would appreciate a nudge in their direction.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Look for a Beaver MkII, better machine all round and can be cheaper than a Bridgie.

Int40 head better for tooling than Int30 but both better than R8 IMO.

Check specs for both on

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Trouble is I'm all tooled up for R8 Peter, so it would be handy to stay with this.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

You'd still be better off (both in pocket and in workshop terms) flogging the R8 tooling and buying a Beaver and tooling.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I can understand Peter's reluctance to get rid of tooling, Vince across the road here had the same dilemma with R8 and Int30, but went for the Int30 eventually and hasn't regretted it.

There is a real cost of change here, it isn't cheap to just acquire a whole new set of stuff, especially in terms of collets etc.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

30 int stuff seems to attract a premium, though maybe less so now that ebay has allowed a major redistribution of stuff from people who don't need it to those who do. 40 int seems to be plentiful, & therefore usually cheaper, on the secondhand market.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Hi

I`ve just read in another thread that RDG have some INT 30 stuff at reasonable prices. Not sure what constitutes reasonable but I have bought bits from them before but nothing to do with Int 30. Anyway here is a link:

Good luck with the search Peter

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

This tooling always seems to be very carefully targetted on price and type, so you have to watch what you are buying, and try and find a mis-spelt auction where nobody else has clocked it yet!

Int40 is possibly cheaper as it is much more widespread in commercial enterprises than 30Int which seems to have been a favourite of the toolroom boys.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I had a look at one first thing this morning, quite local in fact only

20 miles away but I didn't spot it before last night. But I've just watched it sell on ebay for £1950 (item no. 7614515176) and it jumped up nearly a grand in price in the last 10 seconds!!! And to add to that there is still VAT to go on top.

Back to the search.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Takes a bit of luck.

We got our Int40 Beaver as the only bidder, £500 and included 2-axis DRO.

We collected it from the storage place in Coventry and trailered it home.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It's sods law isn't it? When I wasn't looking there seemed to be loads going for about a grand or under. The market has gone a bit silly though, and it seems to be following the US price trend at the moment.

The idea of a (cheap) Beaver is looking more attractive, and I suppose an Ajax is too much to hope for.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Anyone know anything about Gate 'Profitmills'?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Better than a 'Lossmill', I should think

'Profimill' perhaps?

No help at all Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I don't know much.. I just have one :-)

what do you want to know about them ?

Basically it's a Bridgeport copy, with a slightly bigger table, and in my case metric dials etc. ( it uses some interesting bolts with metric heads and imperial threads ).

Mine is R8, but I believe most are INT.

Spares are available, and I am satisfied with their customer service.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Daft bugger You could be right though, with the prices on bridgys at the moment they are definitely a 'lossmill'!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks Jonathan, some of that is exactly what I was after. Spares availability, general performance and build, and so on. Whether its going to fall apart after a while or has a proper working life.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hello Peter I wondered if you have had any bridgeports offered to you as I am looking myself for a 48 x 9 inch bed as I need the extra travel for a particular job I just missed one on Ebay last night I have a 42 x 9 its an old one 1963 was origonaly a manual machine but I have put a align traverse unit on it the head is in good condition but the bed and knee do tighten up on extremes I will consider selling it if I can get a 48 x 9. Please let me know if you know of one please. Cheers Colin

Reply to
Colin Wildgust

Hi Colin

Will do, If I hear of a 48" table model anywhere in my search I'll drop you a line.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thank you to everyone on the NG who were kind enough to keep me informed of a number of Mills available for sale in various places. I have now managed to find a Bridgeport and should have it in place next week. Thanks again

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It's in now. Got a knock on the door at 7.20am this morning and 40 minutes later we were having a cup of tea after having unloaded and positioned it. Picture here:

Because of the up & over garage door getting in the way the hiab arm couldn't get any nearer than 2 ft from the entrance, plus we had a drainage gulley(with grating) to go over. The solution was to grab some lengths of 1/2" x 5ft st/steel bar I had, drop them lengthways under the machine base, apply oil, then slide it

-not roll it -along the length of the bar. Took a bit of shove from the 2 of us to get it moving but after that it was a piece of cake. Once through the door and past the myford and grinder, stuck 2 more lengths of bar underneath but angled off about

30degrees, slid and pulled it on to these, then tapped them straight and slid it into position up against the wall and the job was done.

Probably won't have it running until I find a converter in the next week or so (its a 2-speed motor) but that will give me time to try and organise things around it first.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill