what type of oil seals are used in the Clausing 1300 vari-drive?

This is a nice 1974 Clausing model 1300 (13x36) lathe I've had since 1985. Over the past 18 months the vari-drive handle has been getting harder to turn and the RPM change slower to respond. Have been having, more and more often, to recalibrate by cranking handle to the slowest speed stop for the one minute "hold". Note: ALL vari-drive RPM changes have always been attempted with motor running. There may have been an exception that I can't recall but I doubt it.

About 6 months ago the vari-drive handle would back itself (unwind") from the 45 RPM mark (low range) to the 62 to 75 RPM area. In the last few weeks the vari-drive handle would not stay at the 45 RPM point unless forcefully held there by hand. Also lately, it has begun to "unwind" to the middle of the vari-range. However, as the handle "unwinds" (clockwise) the RPM does Not Increase. This past week, I pulled the drive assembly access panel off, to find the lower vari-drive pulley spread wide open, while the vari-drive control handle was in the middle of its range. It would not close (become more narrow) to increase the drive rpm by turn the vari-drive handle. Also, the pulley half on the double piston side has begun to "rattle".Also, both of the piston housings with right-angle fittings will move in and out 1/32 to 1/16 in.by hand. A new small Oil leak now occurs at these fittings (the ones with the steel tube between them).There seems to be no oil leak at the reservoir or the hyd. feed tube to the lower assy.That is not to say there may not be an internal leak within the reservoir housing.

It is a pretty safe bet that I need new seals....lower for sure, upper cam operated piston in reservoir....maybe.

Question 1: Are these seals standard "O" rings or special Clausing lip or parachute style seals?

Question 2: Are the seals, if not "O"rings, available from Clausing in Kalamazoo?

Question 3: Do you guys have any tips for the vari-drive dis-assembly and/or reassembly and on bleeding any air from the the Hyd. sys?

Question 4: The manual says to install a new belt with the vari-drive pulley set for highest speed of a range (pulley narrow), but, the pulley is stuck at lowest speed (wide pulley). With vari-drive apart for new seals I want to install a vari-drive belt I bought new from Clausing a number of years ago when they were still available. Will there be a problem in this situation?

Personal note: I'm in my 70's & my strength, mental & physical ain't near what it used to be, so notes on handling that "bottom end" will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses and help, as I do appreciate it.

Reply to
Mike

Give them a call- they're friendly and have lots of parts. I chatted a few times before finally placing an order with them. Just have your questions written down before you call so you can address them all when you speak to the right person.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Thank you. I will call them Monday

Reply to