Lathe Chuck 3 jaw with L 00 mounting

Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or Taiwanese) for a 6" 3 jaw Chuck? Must have the L 00 mounting system for a Clausing lathe

Reply to
Rhollie

New England Brass and Tool - A good Bison Plain back chuck - and a Type L-00 special back.. Ask them for help and matching. They are nice people.

Mart> Anyone have an idea for a source (cheap and most likely Chinese or

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Well ... I'm using a 6-1/4" one by Bison on my Clausing. I bought it from New England Brass and Tool, FWIW, but there are other sources too. The chuck is one item, the backplate is the other, and you fit them to each other

Get the one with two-piece jaws while you are about it. You can then use soft jaws for special problem jobs.

It is not that cheap, and FWIW it is made in Poland, but I consider it to be very good.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Cheap" is relative - just how much are you willing to spend?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I have a 5" 3-jaw Bison Set-Tru that rarely needs readjustment.

(lathe+OR+chuck)+AND+(category:%22Metal+Chucks%22)

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:n38hs4$osh$1 @dont-email.me:

Like other tool companies that eventually "get recognized", Bison products aren't as inexpensive compared to others as they used to be. They're made in Poland, yes, but to pretty high standards.

They are very good mid-range tools. I have an 8" three-jaw, and a little

3" six-jaw quick-action. They're both really good-quality pieces.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Been using my bison 3 jaw chuck since 1972 (purchased new) and it still runs within .001". With regular cleaning and lubrication they will last forever. Replacement parts are another consideration.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Since I live in the Los Angeles area, at lease here the Chinese and Taiwanese stuff is very cheap - as an example a 6" 3 jaw chuck of pretty good quality is $100 with NO shipping cost. That added to a spindle adapter to allow use on my L

00 equipped Clausing lathe is beginning to seem like the least costly way to go. I now am waiting for some dimensional information about the mounting bolt circle so as to make sure the adapter (made in Canada) and the chuck (made in China) are compatible.

Being a newby to this forum I thank everyone who has replied for their thoughts and suggestions.

Rhollie

Reply to
KR

I don't know how likely it is that you will find a matching set. But if you don't, it is not a big deal to machine a blank adapter to fit your chuck. It takes more being careful than it does being skilled.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt