Need 3 jaw chuck for logan 10"

Call these people, tell them that Gunner refered you and tell em what you are looking for.

You can probably get one for $35-75 in decent condition.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w

1-1/2 x8 thread.

Thanks,

Jon in Nor Cal

Reply to
msmeads2

Unless you can get a very good one, from a reputable source that will stand befind it, buy a new 3 jaw. It'll save you SO much headache!

Bison brand are well made, and inexpensive, and new trumps 30 years of wear and use.

Parts are available, too.

A used 4 jaw chuck is unlikely to have seen the kind of use as a 3 jaw, because there are a pile of guys out there that still think that setting up a job in one, is some sort of black magic. Some of those issues are mindset, some technique, and some are issues with lousy worn out chucks that were a "bargain".

There are a couple guys here that may be able to hook you up with used, stuff, in good shape, Gunner is one, Leigh at Marmachine, is another.

If you don't mind sight unseen, or at least long distance, Joe Bergamo, at Plaza Machine Tools, in Bethel VT, is a good guy to deal with.

At least you are looking for one of, if not the, most common thread sizes for a lathe spindle nose. You should be able to find something decent.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I'll 2nd trevor's suggestion. I've got 2 3-jaw chucks for my 9" Logan. Neither is accurate enough for any but the most rough work - spacers are good :)

So I intend to treat that old girl to a nice new chuck pretty soon, and sell off the old ones to cover it. After that we get a collet closer and collets. I'll likely buy used on that.

As for the 4-jaw, mine is as good as new. Many people use the heck out of the 3-jaw and rarely use the 4-jaw.

Reply to
Rex

Reply to
RoyJ

[ ... ]

Agreed. And I would consider a 6" 3-jaw to be just a bit large for a 10" Logan. Better a 5" 3-jaw,, and perhaps an 8" 4-jaw.

I could offer you a 3-jaw with 2-piece jaws which came with my

12x24" Clausing but became useless once I switched spindles from 2-1/4x8 to L-00. It does not have a separate backplate, so you would have to turn up an adaptor to convert the threads. (At least, there is plenty of meat in such an adaptor. :-)

But -- it is a heavy chuck, and if your .sig indicates Northern California, you are just too far away to make the shipping practical.

Note that I replaced it with a 6-1/4" Bison 3-jaw with two-piece jaws and bought soft jaws to have on hand for certain tasks -- so consider this to be another vote in favor of the Bison chucks.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

64