Taylor 3 jaw chuck

G'day all, I have a Taylor tapered scroll 3 Jaw chuck on my Myford Super 7 which I have just acquired . Unfortunately the chuck has only one set of jaws ,so I'm looking for the reverse jaws (outside clamping ). If any one knows where I can get a set or knows some one who has Taylor chuck parts I would appreciate any info. Apparently these chucks were supplied with only one set of jaws and the extras were so expensive for thier time, most buyers never bought the extra set. Remove the . between west & net to answer by e-mail

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

In the early days Taylor chucks could be bought with a single set of jaws but later on they came with 2 or in the case of the last Taylor chuck I bought, 3 sets. Prices for a 4-1/2" 3 jaw with two sets of jaws in 1961 was £10.50, whereas a comparable Pratt chuck with 2 sets of jaws was £10.90, while a Burnerd was £9.0.3d.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

GPS Engineering had some last year when I was looking for them (wrong size for me) If they still have them they were 0.562" wide, had teeth on a 0.25 pitch and were 2 3/8 long

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

What are the approximate sizes, I have an odd reverse set at work so its worth me checking them. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I've just been quoted £220 or so (probably plus VAT & carriage though I didn't bother asking) for ONE set of jaws for a 6" P-B chuck :-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Beats me how they can get away with such prices, especially considering that they are probably completely machined on cnc. If they are hardened and ground, perhaps a few more steps, but outrageous prices really.

The price of so many things seems to be loaded as far as the market will possibly stand now, compared with true cost of production...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

I don't know to what extent they 'get away with' prices like that. My guess is that they will sell very few. They (or their agents) wanted about £120 for a set for a 3" chuck. Maybe they don't want to sell them? Seems odd. Maybe some companies will just order them if they need them, & gulp when they get the bill when it's too late? £220 will buy you a brand new Bison/Toolmex chuck the same size from J&L, complete with two sets of jaws, and they are decent chucks. It happens I wanted the jaws for a Griptru chuck, not so easily replaced, but it's still a few years old with the associated wear, so what would be the point in spending that sort of money on a set of jaws? The prices for jaws for their newer metric chucks are a bit more reasonable, probably because they are imported from Eastern Europe along with the chucks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In article , Tim Leech writes

Tim,

Have you tried Thame?

Never used them myself and no idea what their prices are, but it looks to be a pretty comprehensive list.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Guess who it was who quoted the £220? They are P-B prices, Thame buy them in.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In article , Tim Leech writes

OK, sorry; never saw any prices and you never said who it was.

I also see lathes.co.uk will make most jaws to order, may be worth asking them.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Bob , Sorry I didnt get back sooner I've been away from home this week. I will measure up on the weekend and get back to you.

Thanks. Kev.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)