My wife caught me watching tool porn

I'm very embarrassed. Usual sites. Harbor Freight, ENCO, MSC etc.

Is there a support group I can join to kick this habit?

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You won't get any help here, Ivan. We are all addicts. I really don't think there is a cure and if there is, I won't take it.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

The only cure I know of is to accumulate "enough" tools in your possession until your needs are satisfied. You must understand in advance that this is a slow and expensive process, and your wife will have to be patient as you gradually recover, but it is worth it in the end to be cured.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Shock therapy - Go to youtube and search for "Swiss CNC", possibly put a drool pan under your chin first in preparation for those zillion axis, powered tooling, sub spindle amazing toys.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Dave Young

I heard one was forming but the only people that showed up were looking for cheap deals on tools.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
Louis Ohland

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote: (clip) The only cure I know of is to accumulate "enough" tools in your

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This based on a false premise, to wit: it is possible for an addict to accumulate "enough" tools to be satisfied. It is a characteristic of addiction that the addict is NEVER satisfied, requiring "fixes" in ever increasing doses. This approach merely gives the addict license to continue the practice. Oh, I see. Never mind!

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Say ten Hail Maudsleys. Go in peace.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Were you typing one handed?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There is no support group, but I can help you. The only way to kick the habit is to go "cold turkey", i.e., you must turn ALL of your tools over to ME whilst you work through your withdrawl. After you have worked through withdrawl, I will hold onto your tools for safe keeping to prevent you from having a relapse into your foresaken addiction again.

Dr. Phil taught me this method and I can attest that it will work for both of us. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Surely women must have their own equivalent? Clothes p*rn or kitchen p*rn or something?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Oh, yes. Sewing types talk about their "stash" (of highly addictive fabrics) and swoon over sergers and such like, and let's not even get into all those sleazy home renovation videos...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Good one, Tom!!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You are thinking of "shoe p*rn".

Reply to
syoung

No, support groups are usually good places to score - besides, hanging out with others with similar addictions is NOT a good idea...

It will get worse, you will start doing sneaky things and justifying them. Yesterday, I had some mail order tooling turn up, I didn't tell my wife....she wouldn't understand, so why bother? (and it wasnt anything too extravagant, just basic stuff - boring bars, tool steel, a flycutter, tailstock die holder , tapping drills, thread gauges,- just trivia, really ...)

Andrew VK3bFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

You should be embarrassed ;-) When I get caught, it's not on HF. More like Ebay or Craigslist searches for Hardinge, Monark, Bridgeport, Emco (with an M), Miller (blue), etc. May as a well dream high. That's the way real p*rn works..... isn't it?

Reply to
lens

You can go blind if you do it too much - get yourself a pair of safety glasses.

Reply to
Robbo

"lens" wrote: You should be embarrassed ;-) When I get caught, it's not on HF. More like Ebay or Craigslist searches for Hardinge, Monark, Bridgeport, Emco (with an M), Miller (blue), etc. May as a well dream high. That's the way real p*rn works..... isn't it? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hope you realize that all of those pictures have been airbrushed or Photoshop enhanced to increase their appeal. You will seldom meet such attractive examples in real life. How can real tools, covered with cutting fluid, grime and chips hope to compete?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Some of us *like* the gritty, blurry photos from fabled places such as Bristol, CT of once-proud machines slathered with gray paint.