The perils of toolboxes...

Having acquired a new project, I commissioned a new toolbox, one of several I'd bought in the US. In an idle moment some of the documentation caught my eye:
"SAFETY RULES AND WARNINGS:
DO NOT stand on this product. You may fall which may cause personal injury.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES when cutting the banding material. The bands may snap which may cause personal injury.
Stacked products should be bolted together. The products could become unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when removing or repositioning the slides. The tool could slip which may cause personal injury.
When the cover is opened, be sure the cover stop is in the locked position. This will prevent accidental closure and personal injury.
BE CAREFUL when closing the cover. Remove hands before the cover closes completely to prevent personal injury.
BE CAREFUL when opening more than one drawer. The product may become unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.
DO NOT mount this product on a truck bed or any other moving object. This may cause personal injury or product damage.
DO NOT step in the drawers. You may fall which may cause personal injury.
Appropriately secure this product before moving it with a forklift.
Close the cover and lock the drawers and doors before moving this product. The drawers or doors could come open and make the product unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.
DO NOT alter this product in any manner. For example, do not weld external lock bars or attach electrical equipment. This may cause product damage or personal injury.
Remove the work surface, if provided, from the cart before mounting the chest. Failure to do so may cause the chest to slide off, which may cause personal injury or product damage.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND BE CAREFUL when moving the cover rods. The rod could spring out of the hole, which may cause personal injury.
When locking this product, close the drawers before closing the cover for lock bars to work properly.
Spread the weight out evenly in the tote trays. If the weight is not spread evenly, the contents could shift and fall out, which may cause personal injury, and/or damage to the contents or tote tray.
The maximum weight for each drawer should be no more than 50 pounds."
So, rather than just a container for our treasured tools, it appears as if the average toolbox is a mantrap for the unwary and uninformed! Arkwright's till has nothing on it! :-)
Tom

Gol Durn, Tom. Between the toolboxes and the turbine engines, it's a miracle that anyone is living to type about it.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner

<snip>
I'm afraid it's been a very long time since the Americans lost the right balance between common sense, litigious lawyers and the benefits of Darwinian natural selection actually weeding idiots out of the gene pool.
I think Douglas Adams summed it up very well many years ago when he described how Wonko the Sane was affected by the instructions on a packet of tooth picks.
The sign said: Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion. 'It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a packet of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.'
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

Nice <G>
Regards, Tony
SAMMM wrote:

Does the lawyer have to be dead before burial ???
Joules
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:12:03 GMT, Joules Beech

I thought ther were taken from the ranks of the undead to start with <G>
Regards, Tony

not in my book! <G> sammm
I knew there was a reason I don't get involved with any of those nast
tool box thingys ;)
Valeri
-- fridayschil ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fridayschild's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 801 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tc825

I think the US has more lawyers per capita than any other nation.
I wish we could deport some but the recieving country would consider in a act of war.
Wes S

I suppose the natural progression of this thought process is for us to have to prove our "competence" to use one of these before they allow us to buy one. Of course that will also be the case for the hammers, spanners, sockets, files, hacksaws ...........................etc, that we might be silly enough to try and put in it. If in the USA it needs all this warning to buy a toolbox how long is the warning statement included when they buy a gun? I'll bet it is a lot shorter......crazy world.
Keith
said:

Seeing as you mentioned turbines again, there was a small turbine running on a trailer at Ellenroad mill near Rochdale on Sunday, didn't see any protection round it though and not taped off to prevent a close approach. I don't know what it was but it had dual exhausts in a Y formation one each side.
Oily

Pegasus?
:-)
Mark Rand RTFM

"Please take care when using our "Pegasus" model flying horse - bystanders underneath may be injured by horseshit ejected without warning."
"Please take care when reading the instructions for our product. Bystanders may be injured by involuntary object projection brought about by the horseshit issuing therefrom without warning."
David
--
David Littlewood

Peggy eh? That'd be fun, especially when the nozzles vectored downwards & both engine, the trailer bearing it and the Land Rover towing it made a bid for freedom ;o))
Probably a helicopter engine like a Palouste.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
said:

Probably a helicopter engine like a Palouste.
Palouste is a genuine Stationary engine used for air delivery. Noisy sods, idle at 24000rpm ,air delivery 34000rpm Mike.H.
said:

uninformed!
running
approach.
each
Forgot to mention ,the engine on trailer could poss be a Nimbus Mike.H.
said:

appears
Mike.H. wrote:

Wasn't that the Artouste? The Palouste was the helicopter engine, the Artouste the air starter engine?

You are both right, both engines are from the same family and had many uses. The Palousete was certainly used as an air starter for aircraft like the Buccaneer and Gnat but its' compressor was also used in a two seat helicopter. The Artouste was mechanically the same but had an auxiliary gearbox and was used as an Airborne Auxiliary Power Plant in aircraft like the Trident and Victor B2, the engine was also initially used in the Alouette helicopter but fairly rapidly changed to the Astazou 3 which had the same power but used less fuel. The engines were based on ideas pioneered by Turbomeca and were built by Blackburn Aircraft and by Rolls Royce and Lucas Aerospace under license. Heavy, noisy and old fashioned even in their day.
I know you didn't want to know most of that but it gives me a chance to air my anorak.
Regards
Keith
Scenic wrote

--------------------------------------------------- The Blackburn Palouste and Artouste basically same engine .Artouste differs in having a reduction g/box The French manufactured a helicopter engine also named Artouste I think I may have some drawings around in my collection, if I can find them I will stick them on Webshots Mike.H.