The perils of toolboxes...

Having acquired a new project, I commissioned a new toolbox, one of several I'd bought in the US. In an idle moment some of the documentation caught my eye:

"SAFETY RULES AND WARNINGS:

DO NOT stand on this product. You may fall which may cause personal injury.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES when cutting the banding material. The bands may snap which may cause personal injury.

Stacked products should be bolted together. The products could become unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when removing or repositioning the slides. The tool could slip which may cause personal injury.

When the cover is opened, be sure the cover stop is in the locked position. This will prevent accidental closure and personal injury.

BE CAREFUL when closing the cover. Remove hands before the cover closes completely to prevent personal injury.

BE CAREFUL when opening more than one drawer. The product may become unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.

DO NOT mount this product on a truck bed or any other moving object. This may cause personal injury or product damage.

DO NOT step in the drawers. You may fall which may cause personal injury.

Appropriately secure this product before moving it with a forklift.

Close the cover and lock the drawers and doors before moving this product. The drawers or doors could come open and make the product unstable and tip, which may cause personal injury or product damage.

DO NOT alter this product in any manner. For example, do not weld external lock bars or attach electrical equipment. This may cause product damage or personal injury.

Remove the work surface, if provided, from the cart before mounting the chest. Failure to do so may cause the chest to slide off, which may cause personal injury or product damage.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND BE CAREFUL when moving the cover rods. The rod could spring out of the hole, which may cause personal injury.

When locking this product, close the drawers before closing the cover for lock bars to work properly.

Spread the weight out evenly in the tote trays. If the weight is not spread evenly, the contents could shift and fall out, which may cause personal injury, and/or damage to the contents or tote tray.

The maximum weight for each drawer should be no more than 50 pounds."

So, rather than just a container for our treasured tools, it appears as if the average toolbox is a mantrap for the unwary and uninformed! Arkwright's till has nothing on it! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Gol Durn, Tom. Between the toolboxes and the turbine engines, it's a miracle that anyone is living to type about it.

Reply to
Rob Skinner

I'm afraid it's been a very long time since the Americans lost the right balance between common sense, litigious lawyers and the benefits of Darwinian natural selection actually weeding idiots out of the gene pool.

I think Douglas Adams summed it up very well many years ago when he described how Wonko the Sane was affected by the instructions on a packet of tooth picks.

The sign said: Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion. 'It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a packet of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.'

Reply to
Dave Baker

shows what lawyers have done over here. we bury them 12 feet deep because "deep down, they're nice people" sammm

Reply to
SAMMM

I knew there was a reason I don't get involved with any of those nast

tool box thingys ;)

Valeri

-- fridayschil

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fridayschild's Profile:

this thread:

fridayschild

I think the US has more lawyers per capita than any other nation.

I wish we could deport some but the recieving country would consider in a act of war.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Nice

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I suppose the natural progression of this thought process is for us to have to prove our "competence" to use one of these before they allow us to buy one. Of course that will also be the case for the hammers, spanners, sockets, files, hacksaws ...........................etc, that we might be silly enough to try and put in it. If in the USA it needs all this warning to buy a toolbox how long is the warning statement included when they buy a gun? I'll bet it is a lot shorter......crazy world.

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Seeing as you mentioned turbines again, there was a small turbine running on a trailer at Ellenroad mill near Rochdale on Sunday, didn't see any protection round it though and not taped off to prevent a close approach. I don't know what it was but it had dual exhausts in a Y formation one each side.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Pegasus?

:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In article , Mark Rand writes

"Please take care when using our "Pegasus" model flying horse - bystanders underneath may be injured by horseshit ejected without warning."

"Please take care when reading the instructions for our product. Bystanders may be injured by involuntary object projection brought about by the horseshit issuing therefrom without warning."

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Peggy eh? That'd be fun, especially when the nozzles vectored downwards & both engine, the trailer bearing it and the Land Rover towing it made a bid for freedom ;o))

Probably a helicopter engine like a Palouste.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Does the lawyer have to be dead before burial ???

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech

I thought ther were taken from the ranks of the undead to start with

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

not in my book! sammm

Reply to
SAMMM

Probably a helicopter engine like a Palouste.

Palouste is a genuine Stationary engine used for air delivery. Noisy sods, idle at 24000rpm ,air delivery 34000rpm Mike.H.

uninformed!

Reply to
Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Wasn't that the Artouste? The Palouste was the helicopter engine, the Artouste the air starter engine?

Reply to
Scenic

"Kim Siddorn" wrote ....

No, the van towing it was parked at the side which said something about coffee roasting machinery on it. The engine was fastened in a yellow painted tubular framework which was ratchet strapped to the trailer and there was a jerry can full of kerosene fuel high up above it on a pallet on a stacker truck. The exhausts were pointing straight back so it might have departed with the trailer, couldn't see anything tying the trailer down.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

So what was the Brittania Coconut dancers like then? I notice the web site said that they should have been on as an added attraction but says nothing about the engine.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson