The perils of toolboxes...

You are both right, both engines are from the same family and had many uses. The Palousete was certainly used as an air starter for aircraft like the Buccaneer and Gnat but its' compressor was also used in a two seat helicopter. The Artouste was mechanically the same but had an auxiliary gearbox and was used as an Airborne Auxiliary Power Plant in aircraft like the Trident and Victor B2, the engine was also initially used in the Alouette helicopter but fairly rapidly changed to the Astazou 3 which had the same power but used less fuel. The engines were based on ideas pioneered by Turbomeca and were built by Blackburn Aircraft and by Rolls Royce and Lucas Aerospace under license. Heavy, noisy and old fashioned even in their day.

I know you didn't want to know most of that but it gives me a chance to air my anorak.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Scenic wrote

--------------------------------------------------- The Blackburn Palouste and Artouste basically same eng>

Reply to
Mike.H.

Didn't see 'em do any dancin' as they must have gone to the local pub, they were walking back in twos and threes as I drove out, just looked like Morrismen with black faces (Al Jolson with bells on). :-)

Oily

Reply to
Oily