our female guest

We had a certain woman visit us today (our son's 4th birthday party).

She astounded all of us with her metalworking skill, and worked with my lathe quite expertly. Everyone who witnessed it, myself included, was rather impressed. She looked great in protective eyewear...

Ignoramus11139

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What... no photos? ;)

Reply to
DeepDiver

Is this a Mother's Day story?

ff

Reply to
ff

I do have photos, however they are private.

Ignoramus11139

nope, real truth...

Ignoramus11139

Then why are you teasing us with this story? Lane

Reply to
Lane

What happened next? Did you wake up in a puddle?

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Chuckle!

Yep, it's a real shocker when you find women that have such skills. I recall with fondness a gal named Sue that had more knowledge of bearings, sprockets and gears than everyone at her place of employment, and that included her boss.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

And some of them are likely to be grandmothers. Who do you think were running the machine tools in the factories during WW2?

Reply to
John Ings

In college a friend had a bad wheel bearing on her car. She wanted me to do it for cash, which I turned down, but I offered to help her do it for free. She dove right in, got greasy and we had it apart quickly. I had been doing a *lot* of repairs to my car, and we took the bearing down to the place I bought parts at to be pressed off the axel.

While we waited, there were several barely heard comments about women working on cars. Theresa didn't pay any attention to them. She was playing with the new bearing, looking at all the pieces. After a minute or two, she started telling me in detail how the different parts of the thing was made. The guys making cracks got pretty quiet. Theresa was a materials science major at MIT.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Wonder if it was the same Theresa that I worked with on a couple of projects at HON during the '90s. She had an MSME from MIT earned perhaps in the early to mid '80s. Tools fit in her hands just fine.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Here are the photos, with the face edited out for privacy.

Ignoramus8220

Exciting. I had a lesbian friend who replaced drum brakes on her car. She needed a little help from me with the toughest springs, but other than that, she did almost all work herself.

Ignoramus8220

pictures

Ignoramus8220

Thanks for the pictures. A couple of comments...Gentlemen, there is no offensive metal on the left hand of this lovely lass so all who have asked in the past for a proper mate The line forms to the left.. A bit of training will be needed to get her to close the drawer in the bench so as it will not fill with chips, A lesson that I have learned 4-5 times in the recent past. Thanks Iggy for blessing us with the pictures and keeping hope alive. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Very cool. I was pounding out some wrought iron a few years ago and the old lady wanted to try.. Didn't take more than a few minutes and she was holding and applying the hammer like she'd done it for years..

John

Reply to
JohnM

message

I thought maybe you had left the photo off because it was that naked welder someone posted a while back (well, she did have helmet, shoes and gloves on ... )

Reply to
Mike Fields

On the other hand (so to speak) she may simply be following the safety guidelines of no jewelry etc. around machinery (and a lathe can take it off pretty quick ... )

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:33:41 -0700, the inscrutable "larry g" spake:

Yeah, she could play in my shop any time. ;)

Long and loose sleeves aren't a good idea around spinny machinery, either. Think we could talk her into machining naked, for safety? Then I'd -really- want pics.

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the drawer was open because she wanted to pick a different bit.

Ignoramus8220