our female guest

09 May 2005 02:05:31 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    She's a machinist, or used to working around machinery. Machinist who wear rings get called "Nine Fingered" if they don't get named "Gimpy", "Stubby" or other sobriquets.

    Are there any more like her at home?

--
pyotr filipivich.

Heh. She took it off because she was running a lathe!

What, you know a cowboy in need of a mate?
Jim
please reply to:

No ring line visible.

Depends on the woman.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill

I thought you were more of a machinery kinda guy. When was the last time you rode a horse?
Jim
please reply to:

Three or 4 weekends ago I was helping a friend move a couple hundred head of cattle down out of the Twisselman range. On horseback of course. I keep a lariat and my working spurs hanging on the rifle rack in the back window of my pickup. I still keep my hand in , so to speak.
You really dont know much about me, do you....?
Im still a member of the PRCA..Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc, though its been years since I rode broncs and bulls. I dont heal as fast as I used to....and getting crippled up now is a death sentence for my machine addiction, not to mention everything Ive worked for over the years. Which is why I also stopped flat tracking years ago.
I hardly even get a chance for team penning on Friday nights, as Im usually driving home from LA while its going on here locally.
The screwed up rotator cuff in my right shoulder is the result of a rather stupid and very embaressing fuckup while moving stock. Shrug.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill

Well there it is. That must be a tonic from the machinery business, and all the troubles at home.
Jim
please reply to:

So is sitting on a side hill with a rifle or camera, waiting for a deer or wild boar to appear. So is learning to tig and laying that bead in just so...., or making two parts fit perfectly together, that you turned or milled, or kicked back reading a good book with a couple cats in your lap and on your shoulder, purrrring away.
Beats drugs and booze all to hell. Even gives good pussy a run for it.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill

Our local range is closed for two months for re-work. And just after I fitted a tang sight to my Winchester 62A. :(
But I up to the third session of the arc welding class wed nites. Last week they let us run a plasma cutter. Now *that* was fun.
Jim
please reply to:

Your gonna hate the tang site. Not that you were not warned...shrug.

Ayup. Closest thing to a Magic Death Ray when cutting thin stock. Sometimes its hard not to simply slash away <G>
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
jim rozen wrote:

I agree Jim - Had to 'play' with mine before I modified it for CNC.
So I tried slicing up a Bronze water pump case that was 3/8" thick - The torch sliced through it nicely. Sure beats sawing!
Thanks to engineman1 for the Bronze to play with.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn

Can't really tell any private details, but let me just say that there is a few survivalism related ones that I will omit. Some people do fun things.
On 9 May 2005 13:27:07 GMT, Ignoramus20962

Cool. Tell her she has a fan.
Gunner
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stewart Mill
Ignoramus11139 wrote:

Very cool. I was pounding out some wrought iron a few years ago and the old lady wanted to try.. Didn't take more than a few minutes and she was holding and applying the hammer like she'd done it for years..
John

very impressive!
My own wife is, in fact, good at putting furniture together. i

Mine has been a godsend during the build process of my current project (a homebuilt CNC router/engraver). Always there to hold a part, paint the frame, work a wrench or double check my soldering (her eyes are way younger and better than mine....lol). It helps that she was the first female to ever take 'shop class' at her high school too I guess. Mind you the downside is we are way behind on the domestic chores ;-).
--
Larry Green

did you guys see that post a while back about the married couple building a submarine? wow! that is one big and ambitious project. especially because they started out with no metalworking skills. i wish them much success and fun with their sub.
b.w.
William Wixon wrote:

I also wish them well, but they sure could have made things easier on themselves by asking for a bit of advice here. Remarkable amount of knowledge here, amazes me some of the obscure subjects that someone knows a bunch about.
John