our female guest

No ring line visible.

Depends on the woman.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Cool. Tell her she has a fan.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

I thought you were more of a machinery kinda guy. When was the last time you rode a horse?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Ah, but do you wear safety glass *all* the time when working in the shop or on vehicles?

I've caught myself a bunch of times recently, working on stuff after having taking my glasses off - the trouble is my close focus is going away, so whereas before I was able to work on stuff with the far-vision glasses on, now they have to come off.

So I've made it a point to start seeding the shop with safety glasses wherever I might need them.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I hope she's not reading this thread.... but I suspect she is!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well, if we're going to argue about semantics surely ignorance of safety precautions could be taken as a form of incompetence? But I will not say any more on the subject, or it will become one of those endless and pointless USENET discussions :-D.

The point of my post was that I doubt there would have been such a through discussion of safety precautions had it been "our male guest"!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Come on Chris, do you really think there would have been *less* criticism if it were a guy? My bet is that there would have been far MORE. I suspect a lot of people refrained from commenting on the safety violations simply because she was a woman (and because she wasn't the one posting the photos of herself).

But even if I'm wrong on that last point, should we be making this yet another issue of sexism? Does political correctness dictate that we overlook safety concerns for fear of offending someone based on their sex or race? Would she not be just as devastated by losing an arm as any guy?

No one made any criticisms based on her sex (in fact, she was praised for wearing her long hair in a ponytail). The only issue was her open, long-sleeved jacket, and that could have been worn by anyone irregardless of the sex of the machinist.

Let's not allow our metalworking discussions to devolve into polarized arguments of diversity, sensitivity, racism, sexism, and all that other claptrap. Especially concerning safety: that is one topic that we should

*never* be afraid to discuss. Kinetic energy knows no political correctness, and makes no allowances for sex, race, age, wealth, political affiliation, etc.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Yes.

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Three or 4 weekends ago I was helping a friend move a couple hundred head of cattle down out of the Twisselman range. On horseback of course. I keep a lariat and my working spurs hanging on the rifle rack in the back window of my pickup. I still keep my hand in , so to speak.

You really dont know much about me, do you....?

Im still a member of the PRCA..Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc, though its been years since I rode broncs and bulls. I dont heal as fast as I used to....and getting crippled up now is a death sentence for my machine addiction, not to mention everything Ive worked for over the years. Which is why I also stopped flat tracking years ago.

I hardly even get a chance for team penning on Friday nights, as Im usually driving home from LA while its going on here locally.

The screwed up rotator cuff in my right shoulder is the result of a rather stupid and very embaressing fuckup while moving stock. Shrug.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:03:31 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable Christopher Tidy spake:

And that PC attitude is another major reason the USA is heading into the crapper.

P.S: The guy would have been clobbered much harder due to many fewer lovely distractions. Unsafe is unsafe, regardless of gender, race, or age. Capiche?

------------------------------------------------------ I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2000...from California. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I agree, Chris. On all accounts.

I also think the young lady has a ton of class.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Well there it is. That must be a tonic from the machinery business, and all the troubles at home.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

So is sitting on a side hill with a rifle or camera, waiting for a deer or wild boar to appear. So is learning to tig and laying that bead in just so...., or making two parts fit perfectly together, that you turned or milled, or kicked back reading a good book with a couple cats in your lap and on your shoulder, purrrring away.

Beats drugs and booze all to hell. Even gives good pussy a run for it.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

Our local range is closed for two months for re-work. And just after I fitted a tang sight to my Winchester 62A. :(

But I up to the third session of the arc welding class wed nites. Last week they let us run a plasma cutter. Now *that* was fun.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Your gonna hate the tang site. Not that you were not warned...shrug.

Ayup. Closest thing to a Magic Death Ray when cutting thin stock. Sometimes its hard not to simply slash away

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

I don't know if she stayed on for an MS or not. If you want to discuss in more detail, feel free to email me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

I agree Jim - Had to 'play' with mine before I modified it for CNC.

So I tried slicing up a Bronze water pump case that was 3/8" thick - The torch sliced through it nicely. Sure beats sawing!

Thanks to engineman1 for the Bronze to play with.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot