New project

Ignoramus27128

5 HP 230 volt single phase motor

Holy squirt, Batman!

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I can think of several reasons why that motor could blow a circuit breaker. The first reason would be that the starting capacitors are bad. Another reason would be damage to insulation, but that would be less likely. Note that the auction states that the motor rotates freely, so it is not physically stuck due to mechanical issues. (which would be a possible third reason to blow a circuit breaker). The fourth reason could be a bad circuit breaker.

Ignoramus27128

I paid $1600 for a nearly idenitcal unit a few years back. You should be able to get it running for less thna that.

I thought a hot pressure washer was a luxury at the time. We use it nearly every day, just finished cleaning the whole plasma cutter we're assembling right now. Can't live without a pressure washer now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I currently have a poor man's hot pressure washer, which is a Ex-cell washer with a Honda motor, which I connect to a faucet with hot water. The water is, obviously, not very hot, but it is much more effective than cold water.

Whether I will keep this washer, as opposed to fixing and selling, depends on whether my 1/2" natural gas pipe is sufficient to run it.

Aaladdin will send me a manual and they have a local dealer. I do feel that I can at least get to the root of the 5 HP single phase motor's problems.

Ignoramus27128

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:31:27 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus27128 scrawled the following:

You probably already "stock" a motor to fit it, too, don't you? Good price...if it's as stated. Nice stainless unit, looks well kept. You're probably gonna get lucky with it.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, I am very hopeful that the existing motor just needs a little attention, a loving touch of some sort, to get it to work. Caps will be the first to check. And yes, I do have a new 5 HP 1750 RPM motor, but I would prefer not to swap the motor if at all possible. I had a similar story with a 5 HP Baldor motor on a 1930's compressor:

It needed rewiring of connections as someone bungled wiring. I must say that it that person'd defense, the numbers on leads were no longer readable. The other thing that motor needed was new caps, and also a new drive end bearing.

Yes, that thing looks nice indeed. The use of natural gas may be a problem if my 1/2" line for the grill is not sufficient. My default plan is to have fun fixing it and sell, but I often end up keeping some such stuff.

Ignoramus27128

Make sure what ever pressure regulator/ bypass system it uses is working.

WEs

Reply to
Wes

Good point... Did not think about it... I called Aaladin today and they should send me a manual. It will be some time before I pick up this washer. By the looks of it, it should be easy to work on the motor.

Ignoramus27128

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:01:15 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus27128 scrawled the following:

Yeah, it prolly has something simple like a shorted cap.

A 1/2" line will easily handle that thing, but whether or not it will handle both your furnace and your pressure washer at the same time might be the killer.

That makes the mount pretty permanent, too, doesn't it?

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd say definitely not. 440,000 BTU is more like 1" pipe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I am greatly hopeful that it is the case, as opposed to, say, non-working centrifugal switch.

Well, the furnace and water heater are on their separate lines.

The line to the grill is 3/4" pipe, later reduced to 1/2" ID pipe, going maybe 50 feet. The grill is connected by means of a quick disconnect. If the delivery capacity of that grill line is sufficient, which I greatly doubt, I would put a QD on the heater.

The reason why I doubt that it will be sufficient is that the washer delivers 5 gallons per minute (one plastic bucket of water). It must take a very large amount of gas to heat a bucket of water per minute from cold to hot temperature.

I wish it was liquid fuel powered. I called Aaladin today and asked them, they said that I could convert it to kerosene, but it would be pricy.

Ignoramus27128

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:05:00 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus27128 scrawled the following:

Cross all your appendages, sir.

I missed the grill in that sentence before. Mea culpa.

I could have sworn I'd seen 100 or 150kBTU worth of forge burners run from a single propane bottle and 1/4 or 3/8 line. I think the pressure might be greater than the 15psi of natural gas, though.

I guess you could call the gas company and ask.

-- The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. --FLW

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Residential natural gas pressure is more like 0.25 PSIG. Naturally-aspirated forge burners like Reil et al typically run on 20 PSI propane. These can produce 400K BTU/hr with a small dia feed line. A 20 lb propane tank like those used on grills has about 366,000 BTU, so it could run for most of an hour at 400K BTU/hr -- in warm weather.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:13:42 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

I googledit and you're right, Don. The pipeline man who hydraulic-gophered my line into my house 7 years ago told me that our gas ran on 15psi, so that was probably the system up to the meter. I see that larger cities can run up to 60psig in dual parallel lines and pipelines can run 200-1,500psig.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I brainfarted 44k for some reason.