What, A SLC 500 for only $1.25 on Ebay?

You may not believe this, but right now on Ebay there is a SLC 500 for only 1.25

See for your self ...

Manf. Engnr.

For a used 5/01 by itself, I'd say that's about right. I see they REALLY upgraded with a 5/05... wow, that IS an upgrade!!

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Yep, I hear you Jake. If you are spending your company's money, the $1000+ SLC 5/05 is the way to go! But if you are doing something worthwhile like assembling a SLC to teach yourself PLCs, or you are a small business wanting to automate a punch press, the inexpensive but capable SLC 5/01 is the way to go. Even if you are doing something silly like controlling Christmas lights at home. :>)

Reply to
Manf. Engnr.

I think the 5/05 is more than that, bit it's a great processor.

I like the bricks like MicroLogix for that kind of stuff... excellent training tools and also available on E-Bay pretty reasonably. You get the processor, backplane, power supply and I/O all in one place. The software is the same for the Micros as the SLC series. The processor is only part of the picture.

For some nutty reason, the Micro's with AC inputs have gotten pretty high on secondary markets like E-bay. Must be a lot of hobbyists out there.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

I think you are correct about the price of micrologix going up. While Micrologix are well suited for the begginer for training peurposes, the SLC 500 is better for the actual maintenance department.

With the slc, you can burn the eprom, do more advanced math functions. With a SLC 5/04 You can take your training as far as you want to go (and still get a complete system at a resonable price on ebay:>).

Then you can learn about online programing, realtime date and clock functions, indirect addressing, DH+ etc. (And if you had a unit go out in your facility, the slc 504 can replace just about any one as a spare.:>)

A great example is the Like New Allen Bradley 1747-L541 SLC 500 5/04 rack, I/O for only $250, a complete system.

Manf. Engnr.

Micrologix's have PLENTY of application on the plant floor. When the job calls for more than a half-dozen-or-so relays (especially when they're timer relays) I'd much rather install the micro. Way too many small projects get infected with "feature creep" and then you're relieved you went with something programmable, rather than having to go back and rewire!

Reply to
Kevin Spears

The MicroLogix line has a bunch a good features... get up into the 1200 and

1500 lines and you've got RTC, a lot of math, and more. And the 1200/1500 are expandable and have a decent range of I/O available.

I think the 5/03 and up will do on-line... but that's it. And DH+ is probably dead.... I know of dozens of customers that would like to go straight E_net if Allen Bradley hadn't priced themselves out of the market on it. They do offer the ControlLogix bridge, which is a way to hold on to the precious DH+ and allow customers to do some E_net.... along with the RSLinx Pro server and others. They're all kludged.... and I'm an AB fan.

I agree, and I've even used a PICO for a few simple things. They're competitively priced, so why not. AB may be moving in the right direction here.

Now, I love the SLC and PLC-5 family.... real workhorses that will run forever and drive discretes and low-res analog I/O well. They all have their places... Controllogix included.

Jake

Reply to
Jake