Ebay Anvil - novice wants opinions...

What's wrong with this picture...$89?!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#49434003&category 704
Now, how can I tell a good anvil if I see one on Ebay? Here are links to two other anvils I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244187760&category 869&rd=1
I'm leaning toward this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&mfcisapicommand=ViewItem&item243807092&rd=1
Any information to help caveat emptor would be appreciated.
rvb
The first one is a new russian cast steel anvil. Harbor Freight carries them. Not a bad buy for the money. They're a little rough, but an angle grinder can clean them up. A decent beginners anvil. Second one is a good anvil. Right now it's going for $2/lb, but I expect the price to go closer to $3/lb. Third anvil is a good one. Although it's had to tell in the pictures (especially since they painted it all black) the face may have some pitting. The edges will need some grinding. I image the reserve price will be high. If you're going to spend $3/lb or more for an anvil, then I suggest you look at the czech made cast steel anvils. Old World Anvils is a dealer and there's a couple of more. I own 2 czech anvils and they're a good buy for the money. Hope that helps, Rob Wichita, Kansas

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#49434003&category 704
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244187760&category 869&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&mfcisapicommand=ViewItem&item243807092&rd=1
You can buy the first anvil at the local Harborfreight store at the moment for $69, it will go back up to $79 shortly. Or order it from their website freight included for $99. As to how well it works ? I haven't a clue,, it did ring when I snuck over to one with a hamer and plinked on it. Which the cast iron ones do not do.

Regarding the Russian anvil: I bought one of them a couple of weeks ago and gave it to a sister-in-law who works copper. I agree that it is a very good starter anvil, and maybe even more. The face looks as though it had been surfaced with a fly cutter; a little rough, but not bad. I surface ground this one to almost a mirror finish by taking off only 15 thousandths of an inch. So, as another poster said, it shouldn't be hard to clean up with a body grinder. The horn is painted black and also needs the grinder treatment. The hardy hole in the one I bought was actually about 1 1/8" square, give or take 10 thou or so. The face can be cut with a fresh file, but is definitely harder than the horn. When I see people paying $1.50 to 3.00 per pound for some beat-up "brand name" anvil, I see this as a very good alternative, especially if one has access to a Harbor Freight store, as we in the Mpls/St.Paul area do.
Pete Stanaitis, western Wisconsin