Ebay Anvil - novice wants opinions...

What's wrong with this picture...$89?!

Now, how can I tell a good anvil if I see one on Ebay? Here are links to two other anvils I'm looking at:

I'm leaning toward this one:
Any information to help caveat emptor would be appreciated.

rvb

Reply to
rvb

Rob Fertner

You can buy the first anvil at the local Harborfreight store at the moment for $69, it will go back up to $79 shortly. Or order it from their website freight included for $99. As to how well it works ? I haven't a clue,, it did ring when I snuck over to one with a hamer and plinked on it. Which the cast iron ones do not do.

Reply to
Ken

Regarding the Russian anvil: I bought one of them a couple of weeks ago and gave it to a sister-in-law who works copper. I agree that it is a very good starter anvil, and maybe even more. The face looks as though it had been surfaced with a fly cutter; a little rough, but not bad. I surface ground this one to almost a mirror finish by taking off only 15 thousandths of an inch. So, as another poster said, it shouldn't be hard to clean up with a body grinder. The horn is painted black and also needs the grinder treatment. The hardy hole in the one I bought was actually about 1

1/8" square, give or take 10 thou or so. The face can be cut with a fresh file, but is definitely harder than the horn. When I see people paying $1.50 to 3.00 per pound for some beat-up "brand name" anvil, I see this as a very good alternative, especially if one has access to a Harbor Freight store, as we in the Mpls/St.Paul area do.

Pete Stanaitis, western Wisc> What's wrong with this picture...$89?!

Pete & sheri