How much for a fifty?

Aldo is overcharging again - £99 for a hornby 50!!

Exactly how rare are these models??

Reply to
John Ruddy

There is no price maintenance in this country.

The only possibility of illegality would be mis-description. I don't think words like "rare" count for much legally.

As I'm not an expert on OO RTR models, I can't comment on the accuracy of the seller's description of the item. However, the comment about it being available from Hattons suggests that, like all auctions, the buyer should do their research before bidding.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

"Adam Warr" wrote

There's a new batch just been produced by Hornby and "Ark Royal" should be available now at all Hornby stockists.

Not since the last Tory Government abandoned retail price maintenance. Any retailer can charge whatever they like for any product (with the possible exception of books, and even that is questionable these days).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Since Hattons have got them on their website today at £68, I'd guess not very...

Is this not illegal?

Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam Warr

I quote from the description: ' This model was produced in 2003 by Hornby, it sold out very quickly and is now virtually unfindable even on the second hand market. As a result it has become much sought after amongst collectors.'

Also later on it states that due to the rarity, it's value will increase 'dramatically'.

How about a report to ebay explaining this?

James

Reply to
James S

"James S" wrote

The description may have been correct at the time the item was listed. The re-issue of 50035 only came into stock yesterday or the day before.

The comment about rarity is subjective, a matter of opinion. Any self-respecting enthusiast will know that.

But if you feel strongly about Aldo and his antics, by all means report him to eBay, but I doubt that you will get a response.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Caveat Emptor!

Reply to
titans

Quite a lot of eBay items say they're rare - it's just a marketing tactic.

EBay probably aren't going to recommend that people shop around to see what the item sells for in shops because they'll probably lose some business!

I (and probably lots of other people) look at the typical price in a shop and then put a maximum bid of say 70% of the shop price

Reply to
EverettPet

I'm also on eBay but what I have noticed is that there are some items you can sell for more by doing a private sale Beswick china is one good example you can get 20-30% more privately

-- Regards Gray

Pictures at

Graham A Wilson

From the same page...

"New items offered for sale every week at bargain prices, ONLY FOR YOU!!!"

Repeat until true.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

John, Each to there own, it is up to the buyer to decide on ebay if they want=20 to buy a locomotive or not.

A few weeks ago I sold a Bachmann class 37 for =A3100.00 37408 and was=20 surprised it went to so high, but it is really up to the individual if=20 they want to buy an item and pay so much for it.

Ebay prices for locomotives do tend to often exceed retail, I am=20 thinking of the earlier part of this year when Lima 66 were selling on=20 ebay for between =A380 - and =A3100 -

I can recall having sold a lima 66 in freightliner livery Don Raider to=20 some one on ebay for =A3120.00 amazing as retail these originally changed= =20 hands for =A349.99.

But it comes down to the buyer.

Emma

John Ruddy wrote:

--=20

********************************************************************** This email and any files / attachments transmitted with it are private=20 and confidential intended solely for the use of the individual or entity =

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error=20 please return it to the address it came from advising the sender that=20 the message was received in error, you should not copy, distribute or=20 show the content to anyone and immediately delete the message from your=20 system, Unauthorised use or disclosure of the content may be unlawful.=20 Any content that is not pertinent to the official business of the=20 organisation is personal to the author.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

********************************************************************** Cymraeg

Mae'r e-bost hwn ac unrhyw atodiad iddo yn gyfrinachol ac fe'i bwriedir=20 ar gyfer y sawl a enwir arno yn unig. Gall gynnwys gwybodaeth=20 freintiedig. Os yw wedi eich cyrraedd trwy gamgymeriad ni ellwch ei=20 gopio, ei ddosbarthu na'i ddangos i unrhyw un arall a dylech gysylltu=20 =E2'r anfonwr ar unwaith. Mae unrhyw gynnwys nad yw'n ymwneud =E2 busnes swyddogol y corff sy'n=20 anfon yr e-bost yn bersonol i'r awdur.

Emma

I think theres a difference between starting an auction at a low price and letting the market decide, and having an artifically high buy-it-now, with a potentially misleading description as to an items rarity,

Reply to
John Ruddy

hear hear !!!

Reply to
DaveB

I've been buying a few bits on eBay recently; it amazes me that people will bid more than new retail for second hand examples of current products. Admittedly I have accidentally overbid on one item because I got the pricing wrong, but I try to ensure that I am getting new or nearly new for significantly less than new price from a selection of internet vendors. I have a lot of pointwork to buy, and it is saving me money. I also got 4 Gresley coaches for £17, in good order, which I thought was pretty fair. But there are precious few real bargains to be had, and I lose almost all the auctions I bid in.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

My own 50035 was on ebay last week.

It reached £58 which I was more than happy with! Aldo offered one at almost the same time which reached £80! Perhaps I need to improve my descriptions!!!!

Interestingly aldo offers his with etched nameplates which I don't remember being part of the Hornby spec.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Emery

And a clean looking boxed Lima Deltic (D9003) for twenty quid, which could be worse. We'll see how it runs. Maybe I was ripped off, maybe not.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I wouldn't regard that as a bargain Guy; used Lima 55s are turning up almost on a daily basis as modellers switch to something approximating to the correct "Deltic" dimensions. These days I'm happy to get GBP15.00 for virtually any Lima "Deltic".

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

Well that would add maybe three or four quid to the price, but are you sure that Hornby didn't include them as standard? Just asking, not certain myself.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The ships crests are etched items, nameplates are painted/printed on my 50035.

Reply to
Ben

"Rich Mackin" wrote

BR/name/depot

Yes, Bachmann seem to include them with all of their named locomotives, just wasn't certain about the Hornby 50. Seems you don't get gimmicks with their

85 quid (RRP) loco's ......................... (chokes).

John.

Reply to
John Turner