Kitmaster made these I think

Hi all

am trying to locate powered or non-powered OO scale models (maker not critical) of the following locos ..... the higher level of detail, the better:

Stephenson's Rocket and its international derivatives Stirling or Sterling - had a very large drive wheel American general, or similar with large stack and cowcatcher Beyer Garratt - of all varieties, but lean toward the earliest, most ornate. But will gladly consider any of the range.

If there exists carriages that accompany these I would be interested in these also.

Any info as to where I might purchase these would be much appreciated....

Finally, am I correct that KITMASTER no longer exists?

many thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

The Kitmaster moulds were acquired by Airfix, and then by Dapol.

Not for a long time. Their assets were acuired by Airfix a couple of decades ago, and when Airfix went under their railway stuff was acquired by Dapol.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Kitmaster -> Airfix -> Dapol (current)

Kitmaster.

Kitmaster. Have most of one or two in my junk box.

Kitmaster.

It was only around in the late 1960s for about 3 years. Airfix bought some of the dies.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hi there,

Dapol only aquired tooling for around 7-9 of the kitmaster range. The rocket is the only one of your list reproduced by them.

Rocket, Triang and later horby did a rtr of these, both can be found on the s/h market, as can the coaches. Dapol currently sell the loco and tender in kit form.(ex kitmaster) This can be found at most good model shops. Matchbox issued a metal model of rocket, but I'm not sure if thisw was 00.

Stirling single Kitmaster branded models on the s/h market only. I don't know of anyone else producing a stirling single kit........guys??

American models: If you're happy to take HO(1:87) rather than 00 (1:76) models, theres a large range, of which I know nothing. Check out Bachmann Spectrum. (for historical reasons both 00 and HO run on the same guage track).

Bayer-Garrett Theres the old kitmaster ones on the s/h market (at a price) Lner Garratt: djh, nu-cast

garrett: k's keyser (s/h market)

someone's compiled a list inc. non-uk here:

the kitmaster club may also be of interest:

hope this helps,

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

WOW -thanks chaps! It is an incredible help.

I will continue my pursuits and let you know how I get on

Cheers and best regards

Steve, Kilmore, Australia

Reply to
mindesign

Seeing as you come from Australia, try looking in your own back yard :-) An excellent H0 model of the Australian AD60 is to be available in the latter part of 2005

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

AIUI the all the tooling survived into Airfix ownership although some were considered to damaged for further economical use by then (presumably having sustained production wear or storage damage). Many of the tools were retained though and when Dapol bought the range after Airfix's demise they undertook the refurbishment of some of the damaged tooling, hence why the prototype Deltic and the AC Railbus etc. were re issued.

-- Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Oy! I just went out to my back yard

nothing

not a single engine part

:)

Am aware of Eureka's model and love it! It may end up one of the Garratt's in my collection.

Thanks Jim

Merry Christmas

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Thanks for the info Jerry

Am now very keen to get a hold of the Sterling Single in any OO form

along with the many other "quirky" offerings

:)

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Hi Steve,

It's 'Stirling', not 'Sterling', and GNR one was one of Patrick's designs. There's a kitmaster one on ebay at the moment:

Aster have produced this in kit form, but I believe this is in Guage 1, and probably more dificult to find than the Kitmaster one.

The (and I'm taling liberties here) Johnston Spinner of the Midlland Railway (LMS Constituent) is broadly similar in terms of appearance to the Patrick Stirling Singles.

also an unpowered n-guage one on ebay:
Hope this helps you.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

The Great Western Dean Single and the Caledonia Single were both available ready to run from Triang and later Hornby.

These are old models but a few simple things like removing the moulded-on handrails and replacing them with wire makes a world of difference.

There's an article by Mikkel Funder on detailing the GWR single at

You can't go directly to it but click on "GWR Projects" and then on "Detailing the Triang Dean Single".

The result is a very creditable model.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

And putting a 'Flexichas' chassis under them, assuming you want them to pull more than their own tender ! Remember that both were designed to use Tri-ang's 'Magnahesion' (sp>) steel track....

-- Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Apart from the fact that the Johnson single had inside cylinders :-)

Jm.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

The wierdest single - and one I would love a model of, was a camelback Vauclain compound 4-2-2 on the Philadelphia and Reading in the USA.

It had 4 cylinders, with a high and low pressure on each side sharing a common crosshead.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Not to mention the Single's domeless boiler, but they are both more like each other than they are like anything else on the market. Pre-grouping's as bit of a speciallity these days.

The Caledonian / LMS and GWR singles by Hornby / Tri-ang had slipped my mind there.....thanks guys.

Heres some ebay stuff: Lord of the Isles (GWR)

?ViewItem&category=69800&item=5944306495&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW LMS:

Craig Douglas

Hi Craig

Thanks for the heads-up! I will be checking into these and will probably buy one!

Steve

mindesign

AS SOON as I saw the pic of the Triang Caledonian single I recognized it ..... not brilliant detail, yet a great base!

just gets better:)

Still will go for the "original" single and gather other quirky locos along the way as I can get them

Vauclain compound 4-2-2 - couldn't find any of these in pics....would be keen to though.

Thanks again all!

Steve, Melbourne Australia

mindesign

[snip]> >

Sterling is a currency, Stirling is a Scottish name!

Reply to
speedy