New Project

It seems that my wife has grown tired of having to lift our canoes up and onto a set of pipe racks mounted on my truck. So my next welding project is, yeap, you guessed it, a canoe trailer.

I found an old axle off an old pull type corn picker. I'll have the hitch fastened too a center beam that runs the center of the axles with double "T" masts coming up fore and aft of the axles. These will be used to mount the canoes on.

I plan on putting two cargo lockers on the frame-work. One for life jackets and other items, then a smaller one in height and width for paddles.

being that square stock is easier to work with then round stock, especially if you don't have a pipe jig, I plan on using 1"x2" & 2"x3" stock. The cargo lockers will be made of sheet metal reinforced with angle iron.

Not sure about fenders on this as of yet. They should be made out of sheet stock, but I don't have a metal break, so they would have to be bought prefab, unless someone here has an idea. Any suggestions?

This one should keep me out of trouble for a while.

John Ernst

Reply to
John J Ernst

--You might want to check over at rec.boats.building; sometimes you'll find info there...

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
RoyJ

I like Northern Tool. I feel like I'm entering a candy shop when ever I go in there. Will keep them in mind.

I slept on the idea of fenders above the wheels, and thought that I might place the larger of the two cargo lockers above the tires and incorporate it as the top of the fenders and use mud flaps as the front and back. Sounds like it should work to me, but I'll sleep on it and see if I get another brain storm, or a nightmare.

John J Ernst

Reply to
John J Ernst

Only problem with that is that you will need to lift the canoes over the lockers. You really want to keep the center of gravity and center of air resistance as low as possible. High boxes means only one canoe in the center, 2 above.

PS Northern Tool is local to me, sometimes they have 'scratch and dent' sales. How about $.50 (half a buck) for a TEFC 2hp motor? Obviously a return from some> I like Northern Tool. I feel like I'm entering a candy shop when ever I go

Reply to
RoyJ

Good point on the center of gravity and the height of the lockers. The highest mounting beam will be 4.25 feet high. the cargo lockers will be horizontal, running fore and aft of the tires. They will be 13.50 feet high

27 inches wide and 5 feet and 4 feet long respectively, and will work as the front and back of the fenders. With the lockers, axle and frame the majority of the weight will be at the bottom.

John J Ernst

incorporate it

Reply to
John J Ernst