New project in the works

I am finally getting around to making a bandsaw, floor model vertical type mainly for cutting metals, and occasional light woodworking when I need to cut out patterns or plastics.

Frame is going to be made of 4" x 4" x 3/8" thick walled square tube, since that is what I already have on hand in sufficient quanity. I have two (possibly 3) but I intend to make it a 2 wheel type, wheels made from steel and also cast iron, really heavy duty approximately

16" in diameter and 1" wide. Hopefully it will have a throat of at least 15" and a cutting height of 8 to 10 inches and a tilting table. I plan on using a piece of 1/2" plate for the table.

What is the thought of driving this bandsaw with a DC motor of 2hp and using a DART regulated totally variable speed control on it to adjust the speeds. I plan on adding a jackshaft or pulley off the bottom drive wheels shaft to the motor and use a timing type or serpentine type belt to connect it

Should it have enough butt to work with this 2 hp DC motor and a good controller or should I opt for AC motor and gear reduction by way of pulleys and jackshaft or gearbox. I really prefert o use up some of these DC motors I have.

Open for any and all suggestions

Regards Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I think the DC motor would be good, but I would still put a gear or belt reduction on it to keep the motor speed up. Take a look at similar equipment for the equivalent ratios. I've installed DC motors on a lot of equipment and have always had good luck with them.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

really prefert o use up some of

Hey Roy

You make it sound like you have a few of these 2HP motors...;) What Voltage do they run at, or how much Current do they draw?

2 HP would be close to 2KWatts (746W/HP plus ineffeciencies) so the controller would need to be able to handle that at minimum... Just a guess...

P=V X I so if thier 90VDC motors outputting 2000W of power (I=2000/90) the current draw would be approx 22Amps.

Milage may vary ie; startup, load on blade etc...

Frank

Frank

I have some that ar 90 and others 130VDC. I have a super controller capable of running them without a problem, and it will handle up to a

20 amp draw. Been fooling around with one of themn for awhile now, and it runs like a champ. Even if slowed way down to barely a crawl its next to impossible to stall out.

Yep, I have a heap of them, and someday I hoppe to have em on everything possible that I have as I like the variable speed option. Its amazing what exercise equipment has in them. I must have taken 20 or more treadmills apart and have yet to get a bad motor, as its always a controller or some other part or in a few cases nothing at all. I have a deal with a local exercise equipment dealer that Iwill come within 48 hours of his call to remove at least a pickup full of accumulated equippment from behind his store, and I can get 3 or 4 treadmills in my truck.

He also deals in spas, and hot tubs, so I have accumulated a few nice pumps and AC 115 /220 volt motors as well.

I must have 5000# of assorted barbell and exercise equipment weights, both the cast iron and plastic cemennt filled types, and lots of other neat stuff like pulleys and belts, shafting and good quality bearings, and screw actuators, electromagnets etc.

I made a ferrous material picker-upper powered by a 115VAC electromagnet that was used to put a resistaant force really prefert o use up some of

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

After all these years watching your ambitious projects and the skill and speed that you accomplish them, well....I want a transfusion of you blood.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Are these "2hp" DC motors surplus treadmill motors? If so, count on 3/4 hp. I have a couple that I plan to build controllers for or just run of variacs (we'll see). Some tests I ran suggest that trying to get much more than 3/4 hp out of them on a semi-continuous basis is likely to let the smoke out.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards