Reply to Government vs Rocketry Article

I came across this reply to the Wall Street Journal article. Thought someone else might like to read it.

Bill C.

Reply to
Bill C1075

Nice response, and a good reason to support Great Lakes Hobbies!

Reply to
RayDunakin

God bless Robert. May he live in infamy.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

POINT!!

May I give him free product?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Only IF

"free" ? $40,000

OK, OK, it was a joke, it was a joke...

Reply to
Gene

What's wrong with living in Ohio?

;P

Reply to
The Observer

I LIKE Ohio!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Us residents do too. Else, um, we'd probably be in Kalifornia...

Yick.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I have been to Cincinnati (Chili and beer rocks)

I have been to Cleveland (rust rocks) Okay, it IS the industrial center of the planet too.

I have been to Medina (never saw someplace that was green EVERYWHERE before that.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Betcha miss your Skyline, huh?

Tod "Just had four White Castles for lunch" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

I grew up in northern Ohio, and I never saw green till I spent two years in Alabama. Even things that aren't SUPPOSED to be green were growing! Now I live in New Mexico, where if you want something green you paint it. ;)

Mark E. Hamilton

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

:)

ROFL.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

At least you save on watering bills. :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I live in SW Washington state and last month I weedwhacked enough green to cover all of Alabama... ;-)

Twenty miles NE of where I live there's a place where you can drive down the road looking at the roadside and think "My, that's nice, bright green grass!" and then realize it's MOSS. Moss growing on the rocks, moss hanging from the trees, moss growing on top of the freakin' moss...that's what 90 inches of rainfall a year will do. We typically get 50...local microclimate thing.

Last summer I hacked my way up to the NE corner of our farm behind the fir trees and wandered around in bracken ferns eight feet tall. They're usually only about five, maybe six feet.

Nevada is SO shockingly brown and barren! And the air is so dry and dust-laden my nasal lining is scabbed over for a month afterwards.

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

Sheesh. If we get 10% of that in Albuquerque it's a wet year. We had

2.5" last month and nearly set a record. OTOH, I haven't lost a rocket to a tree since Alabama. I flew at El Dorado Dry Lake in Nevada about 12 years ago, and that was impressively dry and flat, but it was way to hot (115 F in the shade.) Where I fly here we may not have as much flatness or space, but we also don't get that hot. I've met some great rocketeers from Nevada and Arizona, but you couldn't pay me to live there. I'd like to visit your area, though. I've never seen 6 foot ferns.

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

The normal rainfall pattern here is different than the in the south. Parts of Texas will get 20 inches of rain a year and half of that in one day. Here IIRC the record for Portland(30 miles south) was 37 consecutive days of rain, but maybe only a few hundredths to half an inch per day. Constant drizzle alternating with showers. The record here is something like 2.5 inches in a day.

I'm going to try to remember to get some pics of the ferns later this year and post them on my web site. Some people just can't believe it. Doesn't look like it's going to be a banner year for ferns, though, we're behind in rainfall this spring.

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin