Government Specifications

(1.) All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal or
plastic centered around the hole.
-
(2.) All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length - do not use
holes of different length than the pipe.
-
(3.) The I.D. (inside diameter) of all pipe must not exceed the O.D.
(outside diameter) - otherwise the hole will be on the outside.
-
(4.) All pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water,
steam or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.
-
(5.) All pipe should be supplied without rust - this can be more readily
applied at the job site.
-
N.B.: Some Vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipe. If available
in your area, this product is recommended as it will save a lot of time
on the job site.
-
(6.) All pipe over 500 ft (153m) in length should have the words "long
pipe" clearly painted on each end, so the Contractor will know it is a
long pipe.
-
(7.) Pipe over 2 miles (3.2 km) in length must have the words "very long
pipe" painted in the middle, so the Contractor will not have to walk the
entire length of the pipe to determine whether or not it is a long pipe
or a very long pipe.
-
(8.) All pipe over 6" (152 mm) in diameter must have the words "large
pipe" painted on it, so the Contractor will not mistake it for small
pipe.
-
(9.) Flanges must be used on all pipe. Flanges must have holes for bolts
quite separate from the big hole in the middle.
-
(10.) When ordering 90 degrees, 45 degrees or 30 degrees elbow, be sure
to specify right hand or left hand; otherwise you will end up going the
wrong way.
-
(11.) Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill
or downhill pipe. If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water
will flow the wrong way.
-
(12.) All couplings should have either right hand or left hand thread,
but do not mix the threads - otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed
on one pipe, it is unscrewed from the other.
-+-
Kurt
{:{
Reply to
Kurt {:{
Haha, I lmao at this one! Did you write it yourself?
chem
Kurt {:{ wrote:
Reply to
chem
chem wrote: Haha, I lmao at this one (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Me too. However, I seriously doubt they are authentic government specifications. I understood every word.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Everytime I see this it has been modified, now it barely resembles the first version I ever saw in the 80's. It is getting shorter too. I believe it dates from the late 40' but that is only guess from some of the terminology used.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC