Another LED question

I've got an idea for a lamp I'd like to build, but size and configuration constraints require an LED with leads on opposing ends (like a typical resistor). Does anyone know of a source for LED's in this configuration? All the ones I've run across have both leads coming from the base. (Metal content: The lamp will have a metal housing.)

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Axial LEDs are available. I'm not aware of any bright ones though. Surface mount LEDs, but you'll probably have to do the lens. More details. What's it for? There is usually a way.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi,

Here is one of many pages on digikeys website that have what you want.

Good luck, Oliver

Stirling.

Reply to
V8TR4

"Axial LED's" - now that I know the correct terminology a google search is much more productive. Thanks!

It's for a sculptural lamp. The lighting is for aesthetic effect, not to light up a room or anything, so they don't need to be particularly bright. I need to fit a series of these (maybe 3) into a 4" to 6" length of acrylic (or similar) tube. I only need maybe a 20 degree cone of light, but a larger spread from the LED is acceptable, even

360 degrees.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Excellent! Thanks.

Bert

"V8TR4" > > this configuration? All the ones I've run across have both leads

Reply to
Bert

In that case, you probably need to go surface mount if you want true axial. I don't think they make bright conventional axial LEDs, and they all radiate over 360 degrees. However, if you take a standard LED, and bend the leads flush with the case (bend the leads the short way and then out at 180 degrees) then it's only around 10mm high. If you use a 3mm LED, it's around 7 or so.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Another approach to this would be to purchase small surface mount LEDs, and either solder them end to end, or with a bit of small wire between each one.

Jim

jim rozen

THere are SMD LEDs - the lens sits up on the small die and the leads flow 180 degrees out. They are for surface mounting. Some don't have 'leads' just tiny tabs to solder. Try

for examples. Martin

Reply to
Eastburn