Weld-All-Round Symbol for Pipe?

Greetings, Someone asked me the correct interpretation of a groove weld symbol pointing at a pipe weld butt joint on a dwg.

Does the weld-all-round circle have to be included to specify that intent?

My opinion is that without a length dimension specified to the right of the groove weld symbol then the correct assumption is full seam length which would be 360 deg in the case of a pipe splice.

However, someone else has a different opinion so I am looking for a

2nd opinion or explicit details from AWS A2.4 that I am not aware of.

Thanx for your ideas, Karsten

Reply to
Karsten

Here is a link, you can make your own assumptions.....

-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."

Reply to
jessp

I know the all round symbol is not required but I can't find a definition to cite in my Canadian code. Even a pipe standing on a plate does not require an all round symbol. If however the hollow section is a square tube then an all round symbol is required. The weld symbol represents the joint line as long as it does not take a sudden change in direction. A gradual change is ok. I know there is a definition that mentions that sudden changes in direction requires treatment as a separate joint and requires another weld symbol. Someone will dig it up before I will find it. Randy

Does the weld-all-round circle have to be included to specify that intent?

My opinion is that without a length dimension specified to the right of the groove weld symbol then the correct assumption is full seam length which would be 360 deg in the case of a pipe splice.

However, someone else has a different opinion so I am looking for a

2nd opinion or explicit details from AWS A2.4 that I am not aware of.

Thanx for your ideas, Karsten

Reply to
R. Zimmerman