Government Auction

Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth? I know what I'd like to have one.

Flash

Reply to
flash

Maybe $700 on a good day.

Ignoramus7591

Giving an accurate estimate of the machines value without checking it out is impossible since there are to many variables that affect the its value. The machine weights around

2500 pounds, place a bid for its scrap value. If the machine is poor condition you can allways scrap it out and break even. If the machine has to be shipped to you consider the cost before bidding.

Good Luck.

Best regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

feed, doesn't look like a chrome ways machine but the pictures are too small to tell. Looks WELL used, so assume the leadscrews and ways have significant wear. If the spindle bearings are shot, that could cost $350 to 700, depending on where you get them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That's a military mill, that means that they used it lightly with high probability.

Ignoramus8571

ROFLMFAO..

Uh Iggy.. I sure as shit hope you were joking... When I was in the service we beat the crap out of everything... If the machine wasn't lugging down and the chips flyin off dark blue to red hot and smoking you weren't working it hard enough...

For the O.P. 70's BP's in EXCELENT shape can be had in the $2500 range, several years ago I purchased a totaly rebuilt '64 J head with X axis power feed for $2000,.. and yeah I baby my BP...

The down side of buying amachine like that is that it IS a project in itself... you ARE going to have to replace parts...

I wouldn't bid on it.. If I did I'd bid 100 bucks and when I lost I'd be happy...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

How often did you use your mill? Was 8 hours every day?

Not necessarily.

Dave, you could be right and I could be wrong... I admit it... Just

3-4 months ago, I bought a mill of slightly older vintage (round ram)... The gentleman (Rec.Crafts.Metalworking member) who bought it says that it does not need any rebuild... It came from a factory. i
Reply to
Ignoramus8571

Iggy,

Factories are much better than the Govt.

In a factory you have guys who care and plan on using the same machine for

10 years and a boss who worries about how much things cost.

In the Armed Services you have asswipes like me who just want the job done faster so they can go hit the EM club and swig beer. The CPO or LTJG in charge could care less, he's gonna rotate out in 6 months, all he want's is the work done so HE looks good. Everybodies excuse is "That's how it was when I got here"...

That machine looks like it's been "rode hard and put away wet"...

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

Reply to
Dave August

If you mean military ID number, mine was my Social Security number. My primary MOS was 26T20, and no secondary MOS.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

MOS 6657 SSN for the ID.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

'Depends on which military. Shipboard lathes, especially the ones on submarines, once had a reputation for being lightly used and good ones to buy in the surplus market. OTOH, if you get an ex-Seabees lathe, it might have been run 20 hours/day until it fell apart.

The best ex-military lathes are like the SB 10L that I have. Designed for shipboard use, it has a heavier-than-standard base, both AC and DC motors, and, in the case of mine, it was sold surplus to my ex-Seabee uncle, still packed in Cosmoline, never having been used, in 1948. d8-)

BTW, that's the lathe that was packed in Cosmoline, not my uncle. He was packed in gin. And he was heavily used.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ahh, yung uns...

Back in the"old days" ya got another number you'll remember for the rest of your life...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

My dad had one that started with RA (regular army) and a bunch of numbers, iirc.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

6838367 service number when I joined, later changes to SSN

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

6112XXX USMCR, SIR! :)

Got that one free from Uncle Sam in 1965. Came with an all-expense-paid vacation too.

Reply to
John Husvar

Back then, they were obeying the law by not using your SSID number to identify you. I filed charges in 2001, against the Marion County, Florida unemployment office. They required you to not only use your SSID to register, but to sign in with your full name and ID number on a clip board, where everyone could see and copy the information. Every time you went in to check the latest listings, you had to sign that damn clip board.

Their online system was useless for tech jobs. I answered all the questions, then it assigned me a classification number. Every time a job met that number, I was told that I wasn't qualified to apply for it. After a very brief investigation, the entire system was scrapped, and replaced, but by that time I was too sick to leave the house for weeks at a time, let alone go fill out applications.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell