God Save the King?

Hello,
I swerved into a MP3 recording of the British national anthem, God Save the Queen, on the internet. Really a beautiful anthem - well
performed too by whoever recorded the MP3.
My only question is if at once we wish to save the Queen, what about the King? Don't we want to save him too?
JW
When the Queen is the reigning Monarch there is no King (like now). And when the reigning monarch is a King (like when Prince Chuck takes over from his Mum (sorry, Mom for the Americans)) then the anthem becomes 'God Save the King".
Cheers, Billy.
JW wrote:

--
Remove 'NO-SPAMMERS' from e-mail address if replying personally

As will every ship in the Royal Navy, etc. etc....

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

"god save the queen she ain't no human bean she may be a moron god save the queen we mean it man 'cause there is no future in england's scene." -sex pistols
'
e wrote:

You left out "potential h-bomb"...
--
- Rufus

Wayne C. Morris wrote:

... if he hasn't died of old age. Might have to go to Prince Bill's firstborn. Let's face it: QE2's mom lasted a century, so QE2 could go 110.
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think
Somewhat OT- when the Sex Pistols were all the rage, a friend of mine's mom and stepdad went on a trip to Limeyland. She saw God Save the Queen on a jukebox and racked it up, then had to put up with the stony-faces stares and rude comments from the locals. She honestly didn't know it wasn't the dignified version-
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Found a similar recording of the old Soviet national anthem, again a very beautiful and stirring piece of music. pity about the regime that went with it.

Yeah. The Soviets only massacred millions of their *own* citizens....

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Al Superczynski wrote:

Response A: Better there than here. Response B: <streisand> The only reason why the Soviets failed is because they didn't try hard enough.</streisand>
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think

my point was that it is an insane system that 7-10 times almost cause war by accident. you don't give an idiot a loaded gun. our idiot's won the cold war. sheer freakin luck. history has always been the story of short sighted psychos pesueing their personal goals.
e wrote:

No, it didn't. MAD *prevented* war from happening a billion times between the fifties and the nineties... every time some Commisar thought what a neato thing it would be to strike frist at the US, the annoying fact of his immanent demise stopped him from acting on his own.
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think

a little research will show you that we almost started the war accidently 7-10 times. don't know about the sovs, they admit to 6. it was a lousy system that worked by accident.
e wrote:

Ummm... no. MAD is a doctrine, not an operations system. And as a doctrime... it PREVENTED war.
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think

And it evolved out of paranoia--Soviet paranoia that we wanted to exterminate them, and Western paranoia about the threat of global communism. Both sides were operating from a position of institutitonal insanity.
That said, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
Nevertheless, it was a really quite perilous situation, because the balance was dynamic rather than static. I'm not sure the Doctor Strangelove scenario was ever a real peril, but all it would take is one permutation of that and the wrong set of cascading errors in response.
We are all very lucky.
Mark Schynert
Mark Schynert wrote:

Indeed. The Soviet threat was real, and continues to cause issues, what with their bajillions of weapons, up to and perhaps including nukes, now finding their way into the hands of the truly insane.

Luckier than if the US had not stood up to the Soviets.
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think

Agreed, as crazy as it sounds the threat of mutual destruction IMHO prevented the escalation of many conflicts to Armageddon status. now with the demise of the USSR and the rise of more radical regimes to nuclear status the world is a more unpredictable status. at least in the old days Nuclear brinkmanship was limited to sabre rattling.
Isn't God Save the Queen the same tune as God Bless America, or something like that?
Amazing thread, goes from GSTQ, to Sex Pistols, to Phil the Greek, to marrying your cousin in Arkansas, to some stuff about MAD.
Tim Brimelow

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:07:43 +1000, "tim brimelow"

Well actually, God bless America is the same tune as God Save the (insert reigning Monarch here). Remember who came first :)

It is. although "God Save the King/Queen" is older by many years. I was just thinking, after looking at a photo of the late Princess Di. When good Queen Elizabeth finally does step down, and Charlie takes over they ~might~ want to cahnge the lyrics to "God Save The Country". How could he throw away a looker like her for horse-face Cammy? Ugh! (Profound appologies to any Brits; I am just wondering -- not looking for trouble)