North American B-45 Model???

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any model company ever producing a model kit of the North American B-45 Tornado? My uncle was killed in one, and I would like to build the kit for my father. Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The only injection molded kit is the 1/72 scale Mach 2 kit.

To say that it is a tough build is an understatement, but I have seen several completed very nicely, including a couple of prize winers.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott

AFAIC, if you can build a Mach 2 kit to reasonable completion, you are a real modeler. Expect everything to go wrong; you'll be pleasantly surprised at least 10% of the time.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

And there was another, a small scale (1:144 or smaller) Frog from Britain from the 1950s. It may not be the most accurate kit on the shelf, but its a ~lot~ easier to build than the Mach 2 offering.

The Old Timer

Hi Paul, The French company "Mach" makes a B-45, I think in 48th scale or it might be

72nd (senior moment, can't remember even though I have one ....somewhere). Don't know if they are still in production or not. Also, they were NOT inexpensive! The quality of Mach kits vary a great deal. Some are fairly decent, some are disasters. I've only had the one I've got out of the box but once when I bought it about 3 years ago and just looked it over and didn't test fit or anything, in fact, I don't even remember if I took it out of its plastic bags. Anyway, they may still be around. Cliff Davis IPMS / USA 3687 Highlands Ranch , Colorado

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Cliff Davis

Aside from the Mach 2 kit mentioned by the others, there is a rare and probably expensive small scale kit by Frog dating back to the late '50s. I've only seen one and it was built.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

The Frog B-45C was 1/159 and goes from $20-$40 at swap meets. It's a cute little thing.

Rarest is the Aerospace Model & Castings 1/72 cast resin kit of the RB-45. This and their 1/72 de Haviland Albatros (now THAT was one beautiful aircraft!!!) go for well over $100 each.

The also did a X-4 and two variants of the Great Lakes 2T-1 in that other scale. These bring over $50 on the rare occasion that one comnes up for sale. All of these came with decals.

I am fortunate to have at least one of each with a stack of extra decals, the masters and the entire production and sales records, a fascinating look into one of the first garage manufacturers.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I'm still working on their $%^&)(! HUP kit. Every few weeks I try something else.

The best part was the tail rotor column. On one fuselage half is canted away from the centerline by a significant margin. I spot checked a half dozen more at a few hobby shops. All the same. How could any manufacturer package such an obvious flaw?

I must admit, though, Mach 2 kits make you actually do some modeling.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com, Maiesm72 at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 07/27/03 12:39 AM: