B-17s Debut, RAF Wellingtons Bomb & Fighters Sweep at Zeno's Video Drive-In

Hello All --

You are invited to drop by Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In

and catch our ETO Triple Feature of World War II aviation films for free online video viewing.

  • This month "At the Matinee," we're showing "The Fight for the Sky," an action packed Drive-In Classic showing allied fighters winning air superiority over Europe; "Mission Accomplished," a Drive-In debut documenting the historic first strike by 8th AF B-17s on the rail yards at Rouen, France on August 17, 1942; and another Drive-in Classic, "Target for Tonight," a detailed account of an RAF Wellington bomber on a night strike

"The Fight for the Sky" In February of 1944, General Jimmy Doolittle "turned loose" his fighters to go after the Luftwaffe where they lived. This marked a radical change in strategy from the disastrous tactics of 1943 that kept escorting fighters chained to bombers. Now, US fighters, including the P-51, probed deep into Germany, catching the opposition on the ground, inflicting mortal damage. This feature combines thrilling combat footage filmed by 8th Air Force combat cameramen with some of the most action packed, down and dirty World War II gun camera film you'll ever see. This is the original, uncut 40-minute version of "The Fight for the Sky" featuring twice the rock 'em sock 'em action of the heavily edited postwar release previously shown at the Drive-In.

"Mission Accomplished" The Story of the First US 8th Air Force Daylight B-17 Strike. On August 17, 1942 eighteen B-17Es from the 97th Heavy Bombardment Group, Eighth Bomber Command (later Eighth Air Force) from Grafton Underwood, performed the first daylight raid over Northern Europe by US heavy bombers. Escorted by RAF Spit Vs & IXs, 6 bombers ran a diversion along the French coast, while 12 more Fortresses attacked the primary target., the important rail yards at Sotteville, France, near Rouen. This mission was a crucial first step in establishing the efficacy of American daylight precision bombing doctrine. Success of the raid was vital so that VIII Bomber Command CO Gen Ira C. Eaker went along for the ride in B-17E "Yankee Doodle. Though small in scale, the raid was a success, with precision hits on important rail assets, with only two Fortresses sustaining minor damage. Lucky for us, combat cameramen recorded this historic action from briefing through "bombs away!"

"Target for Tonight" was the British forerunner and inspiration for "Target for Today," which was produced by the US Army Air Corps a couple of years later. The films are very similar in format. They both a bombing raid from early planning through briefing and execution. Both films also both show real air and ground personnel performing their actual roles, including exciting combat footage. But when you compare the two films you will find the contrast between the tactics and atmosphere of an RAF Bomber Command night mission and a US 8th Air Force massed bomber day raid was, well, like "night and day." Best of all, you'll get to meet the diverse crew of the RAF's Vickers Wellington medium bomber "F for Freddy" in this detailed and engrossing British documentary.

If you haven't stopped by Zeno's Drive-In before, we also feature 1942-45 vintage WWII Army & Navy pilot training films on how to fly the F4U, SB2A, F6F, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, P-61, TBF/TBM, AT-6, B-17, B-24, B-25, A-20, A-26, B-26, B-29, and more. That's over 13 hours of rockin' props for free viewing over the internet. See detailed charts, diagrams, and interior photos from original WWII pilot's manuals too. Finally, our "Control Tower" page has the largest collection of World War II Aviation links on the 'net

So drop your flaps & drop in! That's

Zeno

Reply to
zeno

etc.

Real PLayer won't play?? Says files are mco files, no idea what that is but RP apparently doesn't support them.

Reply to
Dan Wenz

Hello Dan --

Sounds like you either have an older version of RealPlayer or there is an instal problem. The files are encoded in the latest (and current standard) RealVideo 10 codec. There is also a chance that the message you got was just an artifact of server overload when I first posted the latest update. That shouldn't be a problem now.

You can download the latest version of RealPlayer here:

Note that the free version download link is on the right side of the page.

If you think you have the latest version, try uninstalling it & then reinstal. Make sure your web browser is turned off when you do so.

Regards,

Zeno

Reply to
zeno

mpeg is a standard. realvideo is a proprietary thing that provides yet another spam channel (You want updates, did you register, would you like to give us money for full screen?)with less features then the default media player. Billions of codecs are just another channel for virus and spyware activity too. But I SHOULD be stating the obvious.

Just my $0.02.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Who cares! RealPlayer works fine even in Linux and I don't see any of the update, register crap in Realplayer 10 that you complain about. Zeno's website has been around for a l-o-n-g time. In the beginning, realplay was really the only decent solution and perhaps that's why he's sticking with it.

Meanwhile, I'm arguing with someone who's running Outlook assumingly on some sort of Windows OS. Talk about proprietary! Get a real newsreader on a real OS and then perhaps you can bitch about free content.

Reply to
Douglas Bollinger

OK, allow me to dissect this somewhat,

Well, at a minimum, I do, prehaps you missed that. Anyone who has downloaded a virus through a "codec" would also care, probably all security oriented computer professionals in general might care, people who want things to work consistently might care.

Uhh, this was quickly turning into a real player support thread, remember?

See if you can supply the missing letter: windows is to orange what linux is to appl_?

I was making a general statement, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I'm glad you feel so close to Zeno though, that gives me a real nice warm feeling.

Ah, a windowsphobe(tm), and an outlookphobe. That explains quite a bit. I actually work hands on with many OSes every day. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but it is good to expose yourself to multiple systems so you can have a good idea what those strengths and weaknesses are. The flipside would be that you get single systemitis and can no longer change with the rapidly evolving computer environment. Perhaps you have some insecurity issues to work on so you can grow as an individual?

Reply to
Steve Banks

Da%n, Steve You play MEAN! 8-D

Reply to
roger

Really? Well, I remember a .jpeg "trojan" floating around a few months ago which was an exploit of Microsoft's GDI driver. Now remember, one thing you could always tell computer neophytes was that viewing pictures was always safe. Well, not now. If your OS can't even display still pictures safely, what are the chances that _any_ video streams safe? So your point that realvideo == crap and unsafe versus mpeg streams isn't true, unless not while your player is supported by a house of cards.

Oh brother. Let me break it down for you. In the streaming video world, which is what started this "discussion", there are really only two choices use widely, Realplayer and Windows Media Player. One player provides and native client for my OS, and one doesn't. Can you guess which? Perhaps I better tell you. Real has a native Linux client and I'll wager it will be a really long, long time before Microsoft will produce one. So if Zeno's switches, it will probably go WMP and then I'm out-of-luck: no free movies. Can you follow now? Of course, it won't matter to your, Mr Hands-on-many-OSes, because your platform of choice will be supported, but it _will_ matter for me. And all that and it still won't be more secure.

And another thing, my first computer had a monochrome terminal, a keyboard and a mouse was something that ran around on the floor. I think I evolved pretty well.

Reply to
Douglas Bollinger

I never said M$ wasn't crap. It is just very prevelent.

In fact they are extremely unsafe if the player automatically downloads codecs that run native...

My point is that there are other, perhaps more justifiable, options.

Yup, remember you attacked me personally for recieving this laptop with windows on it and not immediately replacing the OS with something else, when I was talking about codecs.

Are you admitting to being a closet windows user here?

M$ does not own the mpeg format, it is a STANDARD. It therefore enjoys many of the same benefits that, say, an open source OS might have.

I wasn't advocating wmf files !!!

The problem of course being yet another non-standard format being chosen. Hopefully Zeno can follow what I am trying to convey, but I'm afraid the meaning has become lost since I'm debating lots of irrelevant points with you.

Just reverse engineer the format and support the linux community like a good netizen. Or complain to the people you bought it from ;)

I had to solder my first computer together. It had a couple LED's and a dumb terminal connection.

Reply to
Steve Banks

If we are going to play this "Mine is bigger than yours" game you guys have to figure out what is important to win. The first computer I played with had tubes. The second one ate card decks.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

The first computer I ever used was a tube type, too. Programing was done by using jumper wires on a 'breadboard'. It would take weeks to program it for the simplist of tasks.

Reply to
bear

Actually what annoyed me was a user using the most proprietary OS of them all grumbling about a site with content I can actually view on a very un-proprietary OS. While you may not choose to admit it, the world of streaming video is divided into mainly two camps: MS WMV and realplay. The one I can easily view, the other I cannot. And I get mad when someone wants to take away my cookie, especially when it works fine now.

Ok, I'm going to skip a bit, seem I'm accused of fragmenting the discussion/argument/whatever. But I can't resist this:

I'm certainly not going to code-up a WMF player anytime soon, but it doesn't work like that anyway. Patents, laws and trade secrets prevail. Even if you can do what you state, it's quite possible to get sued or face criminal proceedings: even if what you do is legal in your country. See DeCSS, that's how I view DVD's on my computer. Yeah, I'm a hardcore criminal. Even something as mundane as listening to mp3's can slip into the same legal quagmire.

Perhaps I was cranky and stubborn at the onset and in interests of wrapping-up this ever-increasing OT thread, could you provide a few links to streaming mpeg like you mentioned in your first post? I realize Google is my friend, but I'm not having much luck finding sites with content streams like you described. All I can find are streams of video in either WMV or real and I would like to see if I can view the alternatives.

Reply to
Douglas Bollinger

Yeah! Oh but for the "good old days"! N O T ! ! !

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hey Steve Banks, did you die on me or what? You suddenly got awfully quiet but I'm still looking forward to seeing those streaming mpeg links.

Reply to
Douglas Bollinger

You obviously can't tell when you are being ignored.

You added the "streaming" requirement in your last post, I suggest you don't require anyone to do streaming because it is generally a bad idea. The only time something like that is a necessity is when you are doing a live broadcast, the rest of the time it means crappy quality and a lot of wasted bandwith if anyone wants to see something more than once. For a previously captured image, just make a file out of it and let people download it once and watch it anytime they want, weather your "streaming" server is up or not, weather the modem is on or not, and without it stopping every 2 seconds to get the next part of the movie. May I suggest MPEG since it is a standard? And may I reiterate that streaming is generally a bad idea?

So I f I don't respond to it is because I am ignoring you on this subject. We past the point of diminishing returns LONG ago, though I was enjoying the "mine is bigger than yours" tangent. Presumably you can play a mpeg file from linux, 'nuff said. Make your closing remarks if you must.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Oh, absolutely.

So you couldn't find any streaming MPEG sites either. :) I didn't add the streaming requirement in my last post, it was there all along. That's was the entire point. Don't you even know what Zeno's website does? Jeesh. Now your master plan is to replace all streaming video sites with FTP servers. LOL It's nice to see your entire arguement(s) was as empty as your head.

One thing we can agree upon is that this is a waste of time.

Reply to
Douglas Bollinger