Time on our hands??

Before hibernation syndrome sets in due to the Arctic weather up here, I was
searching through Newsgroups and came up with:-"uk.rec.sheds"...... Oh
dear, I hope I don't end up like that!! Seriously though, after having a go
at compiling a "Famous Faces" quiz not too long ago, to stimulate a bit of
interest, I was musing on things that had happened in my past and realised
that I had a few half-decent "Claims to Fame" to my name, things like people
I have met, been mistaken for etc,etc,and thought that it may make an
interesting "String Topic"?? Anyone up for it ??
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:31:09 -0000, "Charles Hamilton" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::
Before we had a family (and for a time afterwards) we were active members of the Nottingham Robin Hood Society, who were at that time the only people appearing in costume as the characters from the legends.
Apart from forming a Guard of Honour for the Queen when she visited Nottingham in 1977, we got to do a day's filming with Dave Allen, who was as mild and laid-back a person that you could ever wish to meet. Working with him was an absolute joy - in fact it didn't feel like work at all!
Brian L Dominic
Web Site:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
Reply to
Brian Dominic
One guy who I would have liked to meet! One of my all time favourite comedians. I had the dubious honour of meeting and exchanging a few gags with Paul Daniels once while visiting the Lady Bangor Fairground Collection at Wookey Hole in Somerset. Surprisingly he's a real nice guy!! I also met Mike Harding at the Sidmouth Folk Festival. Couldn't get over how small He is, always looked big on the "box".
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
Gentlemen,
Introduced to the Duke of York and his then to be wife Sarah, flew home from Dublin with Frank Bruno next to me for the journey. My Hero Fred Dibnah had a chat at Dorset. Michael Palin at Venice Airport whist waiting for our baggage. Ester Ranson and the Bird man whose name has slipped my mind signed our hotel bill whilst staying at the hotel in Suffolk after our wedding. Been bought a whisky by the little welsh rugby player cum reporter whose name I cant think off, Morgan but cant think of first, was on Question of sport for a while. As a young lad my Grandfather introduced me to Edgar Westbury.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Claims to fame? Not sure if it counts, but I was at the last Joy Division gig before Ian Curtis committed suicide.
NHH
Reply to
Nick H
Nick,
Not wishing to steal your thunder but who was Joy Division.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Not exactly met, but I once had the temerity to review a book by Allan Organ for Stirling News and some while later picked up the 'phone at work to find the man himself on the other end (how he tracked me down I don't know). I fear I must have sounded like a star-struck school boy - Dr Organ is perhaps THE greatest authority on Stirling cycle machines in the country, if not in the world!
NHH
Reply to
Nick H
Good grief - call yourself an Englishman!
NHH
Reply to
Nick H
Very much so but she is someone I have never heard of !
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Forget people you have met howsabout.-----
I would like to meet and shake warmly by the throat Mr Gatso The inventor of speed bumps ,sorry cushions The person who thought "I know let's convert the country to the metric system" I could go on but I will leave the field clear for others Mike.H.
Reply to
Mike.H.
Funny you should mention speed bumps, I have been to work today in the office and one of the young ladies who I was helping was late in. She had to be towed to a garage this morning because last night she was driving her partners car and came across a speed bump at speed, she braked hard and the nose dipped causing the chassis rails to ground shearing two of the engine support bolts, £150.00 to put it right.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse, but just in case you are serious, here is the ever questionable wikipedia entry for Joy Division
should that wet your appetite, may I recommend the Anton Corbijn's (sp?) film "Control".
NHH
Reply to
Nick H
Sean Connery, Dirk Bogarde and others on the set of "Bridge Too Far", Robert Mitchum on the set (remake) of "The 39 Steps", Ben Kingsley on the set of "Ghandi" in Delhi, "Darryl Hannah" on location in Greece, Michael York on location in northern Germany for "The Riddle of The Sands", and so on.
Working in the film & TV industry you get to see a lot of folks who normally would be the other side of the camera, but as crew, you mix with them all. Most were very approachable as well.
Wierdest was a trip to Libya when they were making "Mohammed", that was unreal.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk
Peter A Forbes
I suppose that I'd better add mine too. I was named after Prince Charles, in the late 70's was approached by 2 giggling women at Manchester Airport and asked for my Autograph. They thought that I was Nigel Mansell!! I was on first name terms with the Late Great Fred Dibnah. I almost reduced him to tears when he was in Cockermouth knocking the Derwent Mill chimney down.All I did was present him with a Picture of himself driving "Atlas" (His favourite engine) that I took at the Grappenhall Steam Fair the previous summer. He said that no'one had ever given him anything like that before. I spotted the picture in his house during one of his TV programs. I have met and shook hands and spoke to Buzz Aldrin (Second man on the moon)and Manfred Rommel.(Erwin's son!) I almost killed Freddie Trueman outside Lords Cricket Ground in the 80's. He was running for a Taxi and finished up with his hands on the bonnet of my car in the middle of the road. He apologised profusely but declined the offer of a lift into the city! My partner's mother was a geneology fanatic and found that her family tree contained non other than George Washington! (She still has a living uncle whose surname is Washington). I have been "carved up" on motorways by Johnny Briggs in his Jaguar (M6,Birmingham) and Noddy Holder in his Bentley (M74 Glasgow outskirts) and once witnessed Jay Kay being ticketed in his Ferrari for speeding on the southbound M74 around the Beattock area at 0600hrs on a very frosty morning, all he had on was a pair of jeans and his big furry hat. Can't think of any more at the moment!
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
On the subject of speed bumps, there is a serious one on one of the access roads at Covent Garden that I saw a Dutch trucker hit at speed with his 26tonner and close coupled trailer. It's the only time I've ever seen a wagon with all it's wheels off the road!!!!
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
the late 70's was approached by 2 giggling women at
Mansell!! I was on first name terms with the Late
knocking the Derwent Mill chimney down.All I did was
that I took at the Grappenhall Steam Fair the previous
spotted the picture in his house during one of his TV
Major Snip Martin P
I was very friendly with Fred in the days when he was still married to Alison & we were both trying to buy old remains from Warrington's closing steel and other works. When he started to get famous people were willing to buy beer for Freds company & his friends died away a little. The last close chat I had with Fred was in 1988 at his 50th birthday bash at Abbotsfield Park Rally in Flixton. Towards the end of the Alcoholic evening we put the world to rights while stood in the Gents urinals.
Reply to
Dave Croft
I recall Fred in the early days having a rather heated argument with an elderly lady at St Helens show at Sherdley Park regarding the demon drink. She commented that he even had his Land Rover decked out in Greenall Whitley colours, to which Fred replied that the colours were actually those of Hollands of Baxenden, his favourite Pie manufacturers!!
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
I'm convinced the only way to get rid of speed bumps is to prove they don't work. A good game is to see what speed you can get up to between them. Another ploy is to avoid them on holiday. I've phoned up caravan sites and asked if they have speed bumps before booking in. If they have I go elsewhere. That lets them know they're loosing business by having them. I rented a house for a while that had an enormous speed bump on the only aproach road. I saw normal cars scrape bodywork at below walking pace. I found the best way was to put 2 wheels on the pavement as I went over it. One frosty morning, there were lots of tyre marks showing I wasn't the only one who used that technique. The ludicrous thing was it was in a cul-de-sac full of starter homes with loads of children. No one drove quickly either before or after the lump. My son (2 at the time) loved it. His best game was to scoot his fairy trike down the slope.
John
Reply to
John
The worst speed bumps I encountered was many years ago at an early Cromford steam rally. There was a road from the show to a nearby golf club bar which had lethal speed bumps. What they had done was to alternate the bumps on the left and right sides of the track to a carefully designed spacing so that a fast car started to rock from Right to left & nearly overturned. I have never seen anything like it again,(TG)
Reply to
Dave Croft
of the track to a
ht to left & nearly overturned.
Sounds like a really tempting slalom to me.
John
Reply to
John