Jerry is now on my banned senders list

Because of the number of times Jerry has resorted to ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with what he has posted, I have now added him to
my banned senders list.
--
Jane

Me too.
I only started reading this NG a few months ago, and was disappointed with the poor S/N ratio. I have since realised that this was almost entirely due to one poster. The best remedy for this is for everyone to plonk him; unfortunately, if lots of other people keep feeding him we will see the crap when they reply.
So, please don't feed him. If you don't want to plonk him, at least don't reply to him unless he says something relevant, which occasionally (but rarely) happens. Anyone who persistently keeps responding to the trolling may have to be plonked as well, to keep the noise down.
David
--
David Littlewood

writes

Sorry, but this is usenet free from moderation. Jerry is allowed to say anything he likes with the knowledge that there may be consequences. I and others may reply however we wish - with the same knowledge of consequences.
I suppose I think he shouldnt be singled out for castigation as those that reply deserve equal treatment. Its like road rage, just because someone cuts you up with a vehicle it doesnt give you any right to retribution in fact if you respond in a like manner then prosecution is often equally deserved.
Perhaps I'm biased though as have learned more from Jerry than from most, also although would never use such extreme language, sometimes have to agree with his sentiment on the occasional muppet post and finally he makes me laugh.
Cheers, Simon

Indeed, that is a key feature of usenet; however, I (and any others of like mind) have exactly as much entitlement to filter out anything, or anyone, we don't like.
Maybe I haven't been reading the NG for long enough to see much signal amid the noise from that quarter, but I have seen very little of merit. YMMV, and you are as entitled as I to act according to your perceptions.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:09:12 +0000, David Littlewood

And me.
It's not what I'm here for.

We also have the right to treat jerks as jerks.

Nor I.
This is not a political, ideological, religious or similarly polarised newsgroup where the one has to ruthlessly filter the nastiness, sound-byte arguments etc out. It is supposed to be a group for mutual assistance and discussion of people sharing the same hobby, swapping tips etc.
Treating people as idiots for asking how to replace a Peco over-the-centre spring was inappropriate behaviour especially when several genuine reasons for the question were posited.
He does this far too often.
It's not the same as frustration showing when two people don't understand each other's explanations, which eventually gets resolved.
And this isn't only example.

From: "simon" Subject: Re: Jerry is now on my preferred senders list

anything he likes with the knowledge that there may be consequences. I and others may reply however we wish - with the same knowledge of consequences.
I'm with Simon on this. There's always the delete button if people don't like what any individual writes.
John.
John Turner wrote:

Is there? ... *I* use a newsfeed that does not allow me to delete or filter what is allowed through. Some people will say 'change client', but I simply switch to only displaying new messages, and just put up with marking the crap as read! The problem comes when I want to read back through a thread lasted with tuns of unrelated crap :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

Well in that case use the 'ignore' button, which is situated somewhere inside each indivisual's head.
John.
Lester Caine wrote:

*Any* news reader will have some sort of filtering somehow. Most newsfeeds (by which I take it you mean nntp server) won't allow you to delete what you're sent, but you block it on your PC. I use Thunderbird to read newsgroups, but T'Bird has to go through Newsproxy to get the posts, and that's where some quite aggressive filtering takes place.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /
Paul Boyd wrote:

I'm on Seamonkey, which is using a build of Thunderbird, and news.btconnect.com does take out a lot of the crap, but does not provide any other local filtering?
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
simon wrote:

I agree with you here - I used to read another group where the self-appointed moderators made more noise than the trolls. I felt that if I wanted to have a discussion with someone who these "moderators" felt were trolls, that was my right.

I think there's two Jerrys, or he's bipolar. He can on occasion discuss things sensibly and knowledgeably, but at other times if anyone tries to put forward an alternative point of view he resorts to childish remarks. I haven't kill-filed him yet (he has been in the past) because I'm trying to work out some gymnastic manoeuvres at the moment involving heads and arses ;-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Whilst I understand the ire generated it is up to the individual what action they choose to take. Whatever that may be it cannot include ordering others to take a particular line or action -- I already object quite strongly ( even violently) to the approach of our dear government regarding personal liberty so clearly not a thing to be tolerated here!
Perhaps it would have been more reasonable to ask the two protagonists involved in the last long and boring exchange in which they both managed to ignore more informed comment to STFU!
Peter A
" ad hominem attacks " I agree 100 %
" Treating people as idiots for asking how to replace a Peco over-the- centre spring was inappropriate behaviour especially when several genuine reasons for the question were posited. " This is a site for Model Rail enthusiasts based around the UK railways .... it's not a site for experts only. We all started as novices.
" I think there's two Jerry's, or he's bipolar " my theory is he has Asperger syndrome and / or he gets drunk. He may even get bullied at home / work. The cure ? " castigation " ( prefer castration for him ) , " plonk " I agree but some do sometimes enjoy showing him up for the Troll he is, " banned senders list " yes if you have that facility.
As I quoted previously :-
" I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it ? " The Friends of Voltaire (1906)
Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who wrote the book, clearly had never experienced a Troll like 'Jerry'. Anyone who did encounter someone like 'Jerry' would have had him committed.
Chris

Presumably I'm the second protagonist. I certainly have learned from more informed comment. If you had read my posts (not that I expect anyone other than Jerry to do that) you'd have seen that I'm arguing for my right to originally post an opinion I had held for 50 years, without having to endure rudeness and personal attack. Better informed people have posted more likely scenarios since, but they might well not have done so without Jerry and my interchanges.
Regards, Greg.P.
I do not see you as a 'protagonist' at all.
You are entitled to your opinion like anyone else, BUT the majority on this group manage to express their views in a polite, educated way. People may not agree with them but they can have the good manners to 'agree to disagree'.
I'm from the 'old school' and try not to use bad language especially if children and women are within earshot. I have VERY strong views on some subjects but do not get too upset if someone has opposing views.
I am afraid our Troll is the equivalent of Jonathan Ross on the TV.
Chris
<snip>>

Be fair - unlike Wossie, he does it for free :-)
Greg.Procter wrote:

I'd assumed MBQ was the second. Or maybe me :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

Definately MBQ - others have just occasional lapses :-)
Cheers, Simon

Sorry. I just can't help myself.
MBQ

Sorry. I just can't help myself.
MBQ
Admitting that is the first and crucial stage to recovery, now consider who can help you :-)
Cheers, Simon