Jerry is now on my banned senders list

beamends wrote: [...]

Welcome to the real world. ;-)

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

That's all right, the government here (US) is quite shocked to discover how deeply unpopular they are with the people. Obama has already managed to drop below 50% approval and the approval results for the House and Senate are below that of used car salesmen and spammers.

Reply to
LDosser

te:

ges pr=E9c=E9dents -

My feelings(long term) regarding the brown government , place used car sales, estate agents & ponces about 2 leagues higher than them!

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

The last 50 years are meaningless given the change over the last 20,000.

Reply to
LDosser

Believe me, I've been a resident for many years - it's those that never question what they are told that bother me.

This year I will be attending Glastonbury Festival again, and while not disagreeing with the general political slant it has, the total guff put out by the various activists there is alarming. Not because of what they believe (they are fully entitled to their opinion), but because by not telling the whole story they actually weaken rather than strengthen their argument. Such is the way way of the world, I suppose. Everyone, naturally, wants to clinch the argument, on any subject, in once sentence, but life is never black and white, only shades of grey (apologies to The Monkeys there).

Cheers Richard

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends
[...]

Politics is "boring", according to my erstwhile students. They didn't see the personal relevance of what politicians do. Besides, they were (and still are) throughly misinformed about how our government works (which is not exactly the same as yours, but pretty close). So when they do become "politically aware" as adults, they fasten on irrelevancies, such as, "Well, he kept his promises". Or decide not to vote, as a "protest". Or bitch about the evil politicians. Or join some single-issue group, and become True Believers (very dangerous, those.) Or do whatever pointless action catches their fancy, and satisfies their sense of grievance. Very, very few get down and dirty in their local constituency associations, and still fewer will stand for office, even when asked.

FWIW, I've several times suggested that all political campaign expenses should be paid for out of taxes, with _no_ donations to parties or candidates. People are horrified - that would be a waste of _their_ money. They forget three facts: a) Tax rebates for a political donations, i.e., tax money is spent on campaigns anyhow. b) The money that's donated ha to come from somewhere. Corporate donations are included in the prices you pay for goods and services. c) Lobbyists are well paid by their (usually) corporate employers in order to influence legislation. The cost of lobbying is also included in the prices you pay. So they take your money, then lobby for laws that screw you. Great system - for them.

The fundamental fact of politics is that all politicians do what someone wants them to do, and they do try to do what needs to be done even if some people don't want them to do it. You may not like what they do, but someone else does. You may not see the need, but someone else does.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Unlike you, I live within a span of 70-90 years, so the last 50 years is/was significant to me. As a person with a modicom of foresight the next

30 odd are of importance to me and I feel some concern regarding the likely events of the lifespan of my grandson.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

How about the last 600,000? Global CO2 concentrations are now trending about 385ppm, over the last 600,000 years the maximum has been less than 300, consistently. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

That suggests a new source of CO2!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

The only 'likely' event I can see is an ever increasing deficit - world wide - for our grand children to pay.

Reply to
LDosser

And prior to then?

Reply to
LDosser

Yes. I wonder what that could be. Can you think of any large source of carbon that has been combined with oxygen over the last century? And was that a natural phenomenon or the act of man? Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Sailor" wrote

But somewhat above that of the last Thatcher government! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sad but true!

Sigh, sigh!

Reply to
Sailor

What are they going to pay it with?

Reply to
MartinS

There are times when we have to agree to disagree - wow is this one of them :-)

Cheers, Simon (proud never to have voted labour and did vote for Thatcher)

Reply to
simon

I have it on reliable authority that anthropogenic climate change was not an issue 600,000 years ago. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

No indeed, it was the wooly mammoths doing experiments - they even had a cyrogenics lab in Siberia - True !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Promissory Notes!