Jerry is now on my banned senders list

If you wish to find something to blame mankind for why not regard the plant and animal worlds? Here one can readily prove the extinction of thousands of varieties of each in order to promote the more productive and beneficial! Nevertheless, many others have been obliterated in the name of Hunting (killing for pleasure) and land clearance for mineral recovery or one shot farming. When the last tree is gone and O2 drops below 17% and CO2 hits the 1% mark then the world will be reduced to several billion mexican type people squatting under their sombreros unwilling to move for any reason. The last man standing will then mutate into a cockroach safe in the knowlege that this was indeed the way in which the dinosaurs died out. After a short few million years it will all start over with a new and different type of pillock who will worship a tattered and dishevelled photo of Gordo the unbelievable of jockland and make houses which cost so much that no one can afford them and perhaps a war or two just for a laugh!

I'm not looking for something.

And one need not lay the entire blame at Our feet. The Noble Savage was knocking stuff down as fast as he could skin and grill it. Sometimes hundreds or thousands of somethings so he could get no more than he could carry away.

Guess what, we'll adapt!

And were it not for the West, bugger all would be done about any of it. In fact, make that the English Speaking West.

We'll have a Roach Motel waiting for him in the US.

I take it that Gordo is Gordon Brown?

<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0323_060323_global_warming.html
That does not answer the question. Do you think a bridge to Great Yarmouth is at all meaningful to the average Chinese. Or even the Chinese functionaries?

Large areas of China are also at risk. The Chinese have introduced car fuel mileage regulations and are beginning to accept that they need to clean up their coal-fired power stations, but you're right that China is a challenge. That said, both per capita and in total China still emits less pollution than the USA.
China is going to be interesting in the next few years. There is now a Chinese professional class which has embraced Western values to an extent much greater than in previous years. I foresee that within the next 10-20 years at most there will be a quiet revolution in China and the Communists will be out of power. It won't be like Gorbachev, quite, but I don't think it will be a bloody revolution either. I suspect they will recognise the game is up and quietly fold their tents and go. I could be wrong, of course, and that is one reason why it's so interesting - we have no idea because information on what goes on behind closed doors is much less likely to leak than it was in Russia. Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk /
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed

Nope. China passed the US for CO2 in the last year or so. They are well past every industrial nation in water pollution. IIRC, they build a new coal fired power plant every few weeks. They have no interest in stopping, nor do the Indians.

Look at it from their point of view.
First world countries achieved their prosperity through polluting industry. Developing countries see a double standard and want propsperity themselves. China has enormous coal reserves so it uses those.

I am. As I said above, they could care less about a bridge to Great Yarmouth. :)

<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0323_060323_global_warming.html
SNIP...
I find the lack of dissent disturbing. It isnt an exact science so would expect healthy debate. However if some people are saying that the rise in temperature is there but insignificant whereas others are saying it is higher then thats fine. It would also mean no conclusion may be drawn from the review. Its so easy to present some interpretation that whilst it is not lying gives a completely false impression.
Cheers, Simon

Does it bother you in the fields of evolution or gravity? Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk /
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed

No there has and indeed still is much discussion and reasonable disagreement on the mechanisms of evolution. I'm not sure what you mean about gravity. It is there, there are a number of theories about it and there is still much discussion, research and experimentation etc. Is it not part of the search for the unified theory of everything.
Cheers, Simon

Evolution is far better understood than gravity. We know how it works and the mechanisms behind it, what causes it etc, while with gravity we only know how it works but not why.

I dont think everyone is in agreement on the why in evolution, but advances in studying DNA may result in a far stronger case.
Cheers, Simon

Actually they are, apart from those who reject it for religious reasons. The mechanisms of heredity and genetic mutation are very well understood. Our understanding of genetics even led to the discovery of a second mechanism for evolution - genetic drift due to dominant vs recessive genes.

Christopher A. Lee wrote:

"Why is there something instead of nothing?"
Try googling it, if you are in the mood for philosophy.
cheers, wolf k.

Which is nothing to do with evolution.

Happens all the time at the quantum level.

No thanks I once tried to read Satre - well I read a couple of his writings and some about his work.
Cheers, Simon
simon wrote:

Sartre was not a philosopher. He was a dyspeptic who had the misfortune to be educated in the French school system, which is more concerned with correct usage than with sense. So Sartre wrote a lot of nonsense - very correctly.
cheers, wolf k.

Sounds like much of the evidence for AGW ;-)
MBQ

pity, liked bits although preferred pragmatism.
cheers, Simon

Try Samuel Becket. :()