Blocked Senders - OT?

Just wanted to share my delight in (finally) discovering how to block senders and remove all messages that originated from them. It has really helped me to eliminate the trash I get from from some of the newsgroups I frequent.

It has also given me some insight as to how some people can be so forgiving and overlooking when they are brutally flamed.

Reply to
Ralph

Posting news messages with your unaltered email address is giving the spambots another person to send junk to (lucky you!).

Since news servers are archived for years, your junk email volume will steadily increase forever moe until you abandon this address.

Also, since you didn't share details, I'd guess its outlook expresses Message-Block Sender menu selection?

Reply to
BogusID

Yep, I should have thought of that. Oh well. That's what I have spamblocker for. Nothing gets through to my mailbox unless I preapprove it. I've had this same mailbox for over 10 years now.

Reply to
Ralph

As I rise to the top of my soap box to bellow.............

Your a dill.

I strike dills like you all the time, they tell me to send them something to an email address then block it with crap. Screw them they get nothing from me. So pre approval and spam filters mean you miss email from people you know. I would not bother to make contact via pre approval email with you, even if you were Elle McPherson.

I get a little spam and unsolicited email. No filters, no pre approval process installed. I reduced my crap email (from 100 per day to nil most days) by not posting an email address everywhere on the net and reading privacy policies.

I also don't miss any unsolicited emails from my friends. So as I said you are a dill.

Reply to
Someone Somewhere

Hey, you up there on the soapbox.

I'm not sure what a dill is. Is it something bad in your country? In my country it's a pickled cucumber.

My spamblocker sends me a daily report of who might want to get through. I can evaluate and approve as I choose. Has worked fine for me for quite some time now. Sorry it upsets you. And as you are free to notice, I don't feel a need to hide behind a false name and address.

A problem which does exist, however, is if everyone wants to hide behind the same email address. Then by blocking one, all get blocked. Oh well. My loss, I guess.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Bogus,

Actually, the spamblockers I use (more than one) are not microsoft. It is only recently that I have discovered the block-sender feature. Haven't always used OE.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

I just get frustrated when I get given an email address to send a large file and it gets blocked. No mention of the problem when the file is requested. For example over this weekend 5 emails got blocked. I try to send a photo they requested and blocked. I find it annoying and these people are difficult to do business with. At least you understand the pitfalls most people seem to get caught up in hype and have no idea how to manage these technologies. I suppose that is my point.

As for a dill it depends on what part of my country you are from, my interpretation is its a friendly dig and that was my intention.

Reply to
Someone Somewhere

I agree.. and the OTHER is 'verification'.. I send an email, back comes a computer response wanting a reply, 'so you can be added to the approved list', THEN I can send the real email through AGAIN.

OR, and I got one of these going now, person on this list sent email out, wanting to check that the email address used was still valid.. and I replied with my NEW address..and they haven't bothered to reread my 2 replies to them so far.. my old addy gets the trash etc.. and is almost 100% deleted unread.. but..their loss

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Yeah and a lot probably doesn't get through that you want either. Most people just ignore those approval messages and forget about emailing you. It's a primitive way to block spam.

Reply to
Steve

All of these (spamblockers, etc.) are basically a PITA and it would be awfully nice if they weren't necessary.

However, and present company excepted, there are a lot of people out there that lack the social skills to politely interact with other human beings.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

I don't use any spam blocker and don't get enough spam to worry about. Maybe a dozen a week. Takes less than 30 seconds to delete them all. Most of them are phishing attempts but they are so half ass I know they are bogus without even really looking at them. Now if you put your real email address in a public forum like this you are going to get a lot more. If you respond to a lot of "You just won bla bla bla" online offers by giving an email address you are going to get a lot more. A lot of people spend more time on trying to block spam than I spend just ignoring and deleting what gets through my isp. If you treat your email address with the same general care you would a phone number spam is really just a problem for isp's and and only a minor inconvenience to individuals.

Reply to
Steve

Yes, you're right.

I used to use a pseudonym linked to a real (though not used much) email address.

After some consideration I think I will continue doing that again. Right after I post this.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

I got an old address that catches some really WILD emails... and I trash about 100% but, not having mine on here, its taken 2 years for the junk to start showing up

--Shiva--

Reply to
me