Lessons Learned Hard

From: "Christopher A. Young" Subject: Lessons Learned Hard Date: Saturday, June 07, 2003 1:06 AM

Tomorrow is garbage day. I'm clearing out some of my store room, to feed the trash can. Anyhow, here are the lessons:

1) Don't cut keys until either the bid has been accepted, or in the case of telephone in things, until the customer is in the shop. I'm throwing a box of keys (couple dozen) in the trash that I cut in anticipation of an apartment rekey job that didn't come through. Also if a customer calls and insists he wants a 0B67 key for his Pontiac, wait till he gets there, or you may be scrapping a key blank.

2) Same deal with buying locks. I've got about two dozen rim cylinders (y-1 keyway) I'd love to sell. I had planned to masterkey a row of roll up garages, but they never took the bid. They're kinda junky "Deluxe" brand cyls, but they get the job done.

3) Don't get involved in boyfriend girlfriend or divorce "domestic" disputes. The one time I went out to change locks on a woman's house, she asked me to take some property to the ex boyfriend's house, and that was a mistake, big time. Enough to say that the sherrifs deputy that talked with me was very polite about it.

4) Always discuss payment terms and price with the person who is paying the bill. If someone else is calling "for someone" insist on talking to the person who is paying. Amazing how people think they can pay for the deadbolt or the car unlocking in three easy payments, and each on the first of the month when their welfare payment arrives.

OK, people... I'm sure someone out there has one to share, too....

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) When doing evictions in a bad neighborhood with the sheriff/marshall and the officers draw their weapons as soon as the locks are picked and say to you "go ahead and open the door for us." DON'T! 2) When working in cul-de-sac's in bad neighborhoods always park with your van facing out, in case you need to make a quick exit. 3) When doing auto openings always try to park your van behind the vehicle you are going to work on, blocking it in. Get paid up front if at all possible. If not, get the keys as soon as you open the car. 4) When working in vacant houses, always do a quick search through the house to make sure there are no homeless people living there. (Scary when they jump out of the closet and make a break for the door) 5) Be careful about doing openings around the time the bars close in your area, more often then not they are drunk, and you don't want to be liable in any way.

I'm sure some more will some to me later.

Reply to
Majestic

The one about block the car and get the keys in your hand right quick. That is totally true. I get a bit casual now and again, and sometimes I get to regret it.

Same with remaking lost keys to cars, I gotta see money before I hand over keys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

got a call to go change locks on a rental house... the story went that the people HAD moved out, and the place was empty, so that morning they sent someone over to check/clean the house as needed for the next renters.. the guy has a key, and he walks in, after unlocking the door...

hears a little noise upstairs, so goes UP the stairs...

in a bedroom, laying on a left behind mattress is a couple 'going at it'... now, NEITHER was the former renters, BUT, they had a key, and figured well, since the house was empty...

. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Similar story I heard from a college locksmith. It was summer break, and all the college kids were supposed to be gone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon