lessons learned?

this is a particularly good time to remember and wonder. i wonder if we are any more prepared than we were in 1941? i don't feel safe and i can't see that
anyone else does. our worls war 2 vets are leaving this mortal coil and will soon be gone. it is almost a time when the vets alive are noteworthy because they are alive. once they were our dads and granpa's, people all around us. they are now fading along with any security we have now. they were a living example of the will to survive and the price to pay. they sacrificed to save the future, a free human future. i honor all the living and dead.
on 12/7/2009 2:10 PM (ET) snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote the following:

That's why they are called "The Greatest Generation".
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You didn't expect History Channel to actually show...history?
: : You didn't expect History Channel to actually show...history? :     Well, it is in the name of their channel. On the other hand, why should they start showing history? After all, it's just a name...
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
eyeball wrote:

On that day, yes. That's what it supposedly stands for. Tuesday is geology day, Wednesday is for chasing mythical monsters, Thursday is crime day. I know, I'm out of step. I still expect TVLand to show old shows, not Cougars or Highschool Reunions or movies. Discovery is only worth the electricity on some weekends. USA has become a dumping ground for old series I didn't care to watch on network TV. I'm glad I was a taping fool 20 years ago. I have tapes to watch that I haven't seen yet.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
: : Channel. Now it's almost as if their programming director was trained : by the Inbred Channel, TNT. :     "trained"? I did not realize you could train suits. I thought the blood flow constrictor they wear eliminated that possibility?
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.

Friend of the family died this year. Was a Marine, joined the Corps in 1938. Was posted to the Warsaw embassy as a young Lt. Was the person who notified the ambassador about the start of WWII. Later retired and flew for Air America until that ended. Flew the last flight into Thailand from Vietnam. Maintenance by that time was non existent. Overloaded as everybody wanted to get out and on it. Got in, things fell apart quickly, ended up just off the runway. Commander shows up and wants to know who is going to get that wreck of a plane off his runway. This is when the Marine training came in. Family version is not my problem no longer an airline. Real version reduces one to tears. He now rests in the cemetary in Quantico. They don't make them like that anymore. Semper Fi, Zig.
frank wrote:

Hi.
Yes they do ! And they are not that hard to look for I love the story about your friend.
But... there is a whole 'nother generation doing their work in Afghanistan, and Iraq.
Younger son spent his 15 mos in Iraq, 5 + of them in Dora, and Rashid (sic) neighborhoods in Downtown Baghdad, the rest of his tour in another city. From all he tells, what I/we see on TV bears no relation to what they were doing. The one major and common theme, is his incredible respect for the bad guys !! He had/has far more respect for them than the Army. (they are motivated, cunning, sneaky, and brave)
So please remember these kid's doing our dirty work today, and every day. They are my hero's.
And before anyone says that WW II was a good war, as the parent of a soldier, I can tell ya there is NO such thing as a good war...............
Clear Skies.
on 12/11/2009 6:43 AM (ET) AM wrote the following:

Well, WWII was a good war for us modelers. Thousands of different armor, vehicles, planes, and ships.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
Bruce Burden wrote:

Yeah me too. Thats OK, the schools I went too were violent enough for me. (cops on roof with guns, during forced integration...)
And what the LT says sounds about right. What they think was Chechen got one of my kid's friends from approx 850 meters away.... Don't worry, my kid and his buddies were NOT nice to the few Chechen's they captured.....
The home grown variety were more opportunists than anything else. The local militia was pretty good for the most part. They just had to keep arresting their leadership from time to time to keep em honest lol. (and pay them)
The terps were VERY motivated, they even trusted one with a gun. That guy hated other Iraqi's more than any US trooper did !!
--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

http://www.novac.com
: : The home grown variety were more opportunists than : anything else. :     Aided by the usual BS ROE. "You can't shoot them if they aren't armed" - okay, so gomer steps out of a doorway, sprays the guys with his AK, steps back into the doorway, drops the AK, steps back into the doorway, and basically flips off the troops he just shot at. Brilliant. : : The local militia was pretty good for : the most part. They just had to keep arresting their : leadership from time to time to keep em honest lol. : (and pay them) :     Yeah. I understand Afghanistan is even more of a Charlie Fox. : : The terps were VERY motivated, they even trusted one : with a gun. That guy hated other Iraqi's more than : any US trooper did !! :     These guys will never get mentioned when the history books are written, I suspect. These guys walk a very fine line, and their life is forefit if they are ever ID'd.
    Sad thing is, I fully expect the lid to blow off shortly after we leave. While I hardle expected Dubya to know his history, I was really surprise and disappointed that Tony B. jumped on the Dubya bandwagon. I'd of throught the Brits remembered their Middle East misadventures from the last time they were there.
                            Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.

It's good to know your kid is a realist. He sounds like one smart son. Good on him, and good on you for raising him right. Doesn't sound like he'll be duped by anyone in his life, or at least not more than once.
Afghanistan, every historical treatise one reads notes the harshness of the environment, and the toughness of the inhabitants to survive in such a place. I guess that they would earn respect! They would make good friends too, if only that were possible.... sometime in the future.
The story (I forget the book) of a village headman marching a single surviving SpecOps soldier out through the Taliban lines to a US base really underlines how customs designed to enable survival in such a place hold fast no matter what the conditions: after all, their very survival depends on these customs.

It's a contradiction we have to live with, as long as there is a state (i.e., goverment) to bring it about.

Amen brother!
Regards, Gernot
In article
snipped-for-privacy@KENT.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me wrote:

hey, so i don't forget, happy holidays, gernot!
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) writes:

snipped-for-privacy@KENT.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me wrote:

At the risk of further disrupting this thread, same to you, mate! Happy modeling!