Two Mul-T-Locks - Keyed Same?

My friend and I were discussing his front door locks. He has two separate Mult-T-Locks on his front door, one above the other, seperated by about 12 inches. They are not keyed the same, and this is where we have differing opinions. He says it's better to have the locks keyed differently because it provides a higher level of security. I say they ought to be keyed the same for convenience sake and that having them keyed differently does not provide higher security. If he loses his keys and ID he will lose both keys, so what's the point? I say one key for both locks is the way to go.

Who is right?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John

both- depending on circumstances, and whats inside, and HOW important it is to keep people out.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Not exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Suppose it is important to keep people out. Why would one choice be better than the other? If someone found one key (all with ID with address) he would find the other one with it In all probability they would be on the same ring. That fact would argue for a single key for both locks, would it not?

John

Reply to
John

single key is convenient... BUT, lose it, and people get in..ESPECIALLY if there is an addy ON THE RING...

(talk to the insurance company- give a what if... things are missing from the place, with NO visible break in being shown-will they pay?)

2 keys IS more secure IF the 2 keys are kept SEPARATE... lose one, they cant get in (neither can you, unless there is another copy somewhere)

a HOUSE? 1 key... a business? depends...usually 1, but there could and are situations that 2 would be useful. high $$$$ area? then might look at 2 different keys... and KEEP them on SEPARATE key rings. and then DO NOT keep an address on the ring, unless its to a PO box..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Should never put your addr on a keyring. I suggest a phone number of a relative. (if you put YOUR phone, they could reverse lookup)

Reply to
Dave Wallen

What are the odds of losing your keys and ID at the same time? If you just lose your keys how would anyone know where to try them? Having the locks keyed different is especially useful if you have maid service or others who need occasional access. Give them one key and the other lock stays uncompromised.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Two locks keyed differnetly are obviously slightly more sucure if for no other reason than it is twice as hard for someone to get the duplicates they need to get in with the key.

If someone

Why would anyone be stupid enough to keep an address with their keys? There should obviously be nothing on keys to give someone who finds them and indication what they fit.

As previsouly mentioned unless one is stupid enough to put ones address on ones keys who cares if they are lost and someone finds them? As to keying both locks alike the only benefit is a little added convenience and if it doesn't matter to the person who's locks they are then it isn't worth bothering with.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

A friend's daughter once had her purse stolen. The purse contained drivers license and other ID and...the keys to her home.

uncompromised.

Reply to
John

Well it's a very bad idea to carry your keys in such a way that they can be lost or stolen with anything with your address on it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Never seen a woman who carries a purse NOT have both ID and keys in it. And we are talking about women. Man-logic doesn't apply.

Reply to
Aegis

Reply to
Bill Hupfeld

As long as the keys are kept seperately, the keyed different can provide more security as both keys would need to be stolen to gain entry.

Another scenario where it helps is if you have neighbors, maids, contractrors or house sitters that have a copy for emergency or restricted access. Give them only the key to lock 1, and leave lock 2 unlocked when they are allowed to be there. Lock both when you want privacy or when they are not allowed in.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

I know a number of women who don't typically even carry a purse. It's also pretty foolish of you to steryotype an entire gender.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

<ZkmJb.1642$d snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>

message

<tpkJb.51388$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>

purse contained

way that they can

and keys in it. And

purse. It's also

don't believe he was stereotyping an entire gender. I read it as "a woman WHO carries a purse"

but what do I really know :-) g'day

Reply to
Key

I was refering to: "And we are talking about women. Man-logic doesn't apply.". Which sounded somewhat derogatory to me, especially since the man logic in question regarding not carrying keys and ID in such a way as to lose both at the same time is really just common sense.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Voted for Clinton, eh?

Reply to
Aegis

Scientific fact that the male and female brains process information differently. The brain itself is the same, but the female brain is more inundated with estrogen... Same for the male, except testosterone. This is why, in part, many time what sounds logical to a male is interpreted as illogical to the female. Hence, man-logic works for men and woman-logic works for women.

Reply to
Aegis

You did? Why?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

There is no logic in carrying your keys with your ID. Any woman who stops to think about that will recognize it as quickly as a man will.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I believe any woman would agree with you on that fact, but, a great many would choose to essentially ignore it and carry EVERYTHING in the purse anyway... I'm pretty sure that would be the way of things with 90-95% of the women I know... Not necessarily indicative of the entire female population, nor contradictive.

Reply to
Aegis