Your thoughts please...

Greetings:

I took the Foley-Belsaw locksmith course a few years back so I'm a "certified locksmith" but am by no means a professional locksmith. I do use the knowledge gained to perform minor service on locks in the emergency communications center I work for and was recently asked what I thought would be the best structural security plan for our new center to be constructed in

2006.

I said a prox card system with various access levels for the electronic end of things so we would not have to mess with a lot of key control. We will however need all doors with a prox card reader to have a key bypass in the door itself as a backup. I recommended a 6 or 7 pin Best IC Core System. All doors individually keyed except the outside doors to their own key, and the whole system with a master key. Myself and the agency director would likely carry the master key, with all others including the control key locked in a safe in my office.

I'm sure the construction company will have a source for locks, but I want input on who that is. There are a couple of one man operations here in town but I would prefer to order the cores myself because of the seucirty involved. I don't want anyone local to have the codes to combinate the locks or produce keys. I have been using Security Lock Distributors for the minor stuff here lately, but would be interested if anyone has any good recommendations for a distributor that can combinate a system, make keys, and send it all for me to install. Until OUR cores are in, we'll probably just require the construction company to either supply their own cores and keys for the outside doors, or supply some for them. Once the construction is over with, we'll remove and dispose of those cores or sell them on ebay and install our system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a better plan?

Reply to
bwells

specify the Hardware to be ADA, if you are using a proxy card system.. that limits you greatly.. and make CERTAIn it can take whatever key way cylinder you decide on.. also state what GRADE of hardware acceptable.. you want grade 2 or 1? depends on the use..normal DUMB architects say 'guarantee 1 year' which does NOT get the 'long lasting locks'..

ALL LOCKS to be able to accept (using your example) a BEST 7 pin IC cylinder..or-there are several high security types up to and including an ASSA or Medeco..or levels below this.. how paranoid are ya? There is a 'Lori' locksmith only key way type..Winkhause is a better one but is Cheaper SINCE you are only using it for an override

Construction keying to be supplied by the contractor on the OUTSIDE doors only. cores 'can be' returned to contractor if he wishes, once building is complete. Inside doors to be un cored unless necessary for temporary safety. (or security)

and what part of the country are you in? reason I ask is 'some suppliers' 'bought a Winkhaus key way, they got the only one like that.. another same brand key blank wont go in it, UNLESS they got it from the same supplier.. I use this type IF the person wants key security, plus the advantage is other than the key blank-its a normal key lock to repin and make keys for..

and PERSONALLY I NEVER master the outside door locks- just as sure as you do, you fire a 'master key holder' and EVERYTHING has to be changed..

Core key to be stored where VERY limited availability is used.. perhaps even 2 core keys, 1 for all the inside and 1 outside..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The building is in northeast Missouri. For ADA Compliance, we can mount the prox card readers maybe 4 feet off the ground? This will make wheel-chair bound employees able to reach it, and everyone else able to keep their card in their pocket or wallet and walk up toward the reader. I should expect ADA Compliant Locksets on offices (levers?). We need a moderate-high security facility. It's not Fort Knox but it does run Emergency 9-1-1 calls and radio dispatch to all resonders in an area serving approximately 30,000 citizens. We want our stuff to last at least 20 years without having to go through major replacements. On the outter doors, we want the locks to withstand a high amount of physical force. One door will more than likely be a typical commerical glass door to a lobby. From the lobby, there will be a solid door to get through into the hall that leads to everything. The other outside doors will be solid.

Would it be better to get doorknobs that are electronic where the knob itself is unlocked by the prox card, or is it better to use electric strikes with legacy handles. There is a low risk for interior locks to have to sustain much physical force.

With all of this in mind, what ANSI Grade should we go with for interior and exterior? I like the idea of different regular and control keys for exterior and interior mastered. Considering our location, what would be a good, uncommon keyway, that is not super expensive?

Thanks so much for your response thus far.

Reply to
bwells

grade 1. interior AND exterior.. ok.. hmm.. cheaper to originally install due to wiring (MY OPINION) is an electric latch..you do not have the 'wiring requirements' in the door..but thats a PERSONAL opinion.. also easier to replace a latch..makes the door locks cheaper too. a considerable price difference beetween electric locks and regular mechanical locks now, think of a 'battery backup' on the latches- do you need one IF you lose 'outside utility power' OR are us, as per usual, self contained generator..

since youa re opposite end of the state from me, there is a lock supplier in Omaha nebraska- dont know what their selling requirements are.. whether they would to an end user or not.. the name escapes me at the moment, would ahve to dig.. uncommon is a Winkhaus- once yo decide-regular lock but restricted key, OR a BEST system, then you can go from there.. PERSONALLY from a 'key restriction stand point would go other than a Best system..

BTW, you got an email coming your way, more information..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Check here for the best selection of IC possibilities

Keyman55