inexpensive knob or lever lockset that will accept medeco core?

So, we'd like to switch our back door deadbolt (medeco) to something that will lock when slammed shut (ie you don't need a key to make it lock; just close it), can be opened without a key from inside, and always locks when you close it (no pushbutton).

Anyways, due to a complex situation with our deceased landlady, we have to reuse the core. We have keys for it, but we don't have the secret code required for duplicating them or ordering new cores on the same keying.

Medeco locksets are really expensive, and I was wondering if there is an inexpensive lockset that we can put the Medeco core into. I understand that Medeco is really high-security, and that a lesser lockset probably undermines the super-security that the core gives us, but let's just say that if somebody desperately wanted to break into our house, there are much easier ways than picking/drilling the lock. So, based on the weakest-link aspect, I'm not too concerned about this.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any recommendations on this. The keys are the square-handle kind, apparently six pins or more (definately not five-pin). Quite strangely, the core does not have "medeco" printed on it (but the keys all do). Right now the core is installed in a mortise-style deadbolt; unfortunately we need to be sure that people without keys can exit through this door, and that it locks behind them. Oh yeah, and the deadbolt is two-core (keyhole on both the outside and inside).

Thanks!

- a

Reply to
Adam Megacz

When you say mortise style deadbolt, is it a true "mortise deadbolt" - like a mortise lock, with just the bolt (no latch and knobs/levers)?

Or do you mean a cylindrical deadbolt (that goes into a 2 1/8" round hole) that uses mortise cylinders?

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

my mind goes TILT TILT.. I think 'slam latch'.. which AFAIK, offers NO security from being 'pried' Schlage USED to make one, but do not know if they still have it available..

ehh...perhaps you arent as bad off as you think.. IF the key is a 'common' blank.. then the 'side bar' can be changed to the local locksmiths, and then you can get extra keys as needed.. I do NOT do Medeco, HOWEVER if I remember the couple of times I got called about these, there is a 3 digit number ON the existing key.. call your local locksmith/s and give them that number.. see if the key way is one they can easily alter. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I'm presuming that "core" in Adam's question actually means "cylinder".

Note that you do NOT need to replace the lock if all you want is to be able to lock and unlock it from inside. All you need to do is remove the interior cylinder and replace it with a piece that has a thumb-turn. How hard that is depends on the actual lock, but generally this is straightforward.

But that doesn't address the automatic-lock-behind-you aspect.

--Shiva-- wrote:

I'd think about a springbolt (at least, that's the terminology I'm used to). That's basically a cross between springlatch and a deadbolt; it operates as a springlatch in terms of letting you just slam the door to lock it, but as the door closes it springs out a greater distance (to act more like a deadbolt) and deadlatches until retracted by key or thumb-turn. I've mostly seen these as rim bolts, though I seem to remember seeing equivalents in mortise. I don't think I've seen one in the cylindrical/tubular format.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Adam Megacz wrote: ... unfortunately we need to be sure that people

Install an electric strike with a push-button alongside it?

Reply to
KewlKiwi

Look on your key, it should have the name of the dealer that has that line of medeco keys. They will also carry the cylinders so all you need to do is to order a cylinder that will fit your key and directly replace the cylinder in a key in the knob lock. The duplication of keys are restricted, but I belive the purchase of a new cylinder keyed to your key is OK.

If the key just has a square head it might be available through any locksmith shop. If it has other special markings like a little minuteman that is probably propriatary.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

thats probably the BEST idea, and a fail SECURE one at that,.. no battery? door stays LOCKED. cause you got the key anyway.. this assumes 2 other criteria, and 1 is that its PERMISSIBLE by local code to have a key lock on the INSIDE.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--