medeco mystery

This one is making me lose some sleep.

We do a fair amount of Medeco installation and service, but this one is driving me nuts. We took a service call for a lockout on a Medeco Bodyguard. The customer had the key, and yes, it was the right key, the key would go into the lock with no problem but not turn. (the lock was about two years old). My locksmith that was on the call lubricated, probed to make sure all the pins were free, tried several different keys, tried the keys NUMEROUS times, still no luck. We were left with no choice but to drill out the bodyguard (oh what fun!).

So after re-installing a new bodyguard and cylinder (about three weeks ago), we get a call today that the customer is having the same problem. I am totally bewildered over this. The lawyers office where this was installed feels that it might be sabotage (which wouldn't surprise me being that it's a lawyers office). If it is sabotage, how? The only thing I can think of is a pin turned somehow but twice on two different medeco cylinders in the same place? Is the building possessed?

thanks

Reply to
Mzone719

side bar problem? dirty? or 'dirt' pushed in? I had a local business, had a malfunctioning aluminum/glass door lock, and they called.. the cylinder was loose in the door.. fixed that, and the boss hollered, HEY, this one is ALSO..

someone was attempting to break in to 2 car lot buildings..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

When I took my Biaxial certification course, they told a story of a school that had Biaxial cylinders. they tested them at the factory, and they were good for something like two million uses.

Well, it turns out that a week later the locks were all failing. The medeco folks sent out a rep, and found out the problem was th at the school custodian had taken his oilcan and loaded all the cylinders with 30 weight. He'd been doing that for several decades.

Might want to ask what they are using for lube. And might want to try a shot of "degreaser" tricholoroethylene to clear out the lock. I really doubt it's a lock failure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tear one of them down. Including the sidebar. Look to see that all parts are moving freely. If there is no oil in the cylinder, a small drop of crazy glue near the sidebar, can lock it up. Just a thought, I've seen it before.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

You are never going to know unless you remove it intact enough to examine. Then it should become obvious.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Well, Mystery solved!

Just figured I would keep everyone posted. Because this was in a bodyguard the first cylinder was pretty well destroyed in the process of opening. The second one I made sure to have the locksmith on the call drill as careful as possible for the screws and bring the cylinder back. First cylinder had the ball bearings installed with the set screws. After taking everything apart we found a piece of paperclip about that was jammed in the cylinder. What was happening was the key would go in all the way except for that last 1/4" or so. From the locksmith's point of view on the call the key was going in all the way

- with the bodyguard on he was tricked I guess you could say. Lesson learned, he will never drill a bodyguard without checking that again.

thank you all, matt

Reply to
Mzone719