medeco question

I have a medeco lock and the keys have a man with a rifle stamped on them. does this mean I can't get the keys copied without some card I don't have?

Reply to
billb

YUP...

bring it to a local medeco dealer and they can rekey the lock and issue new card and keys for a nominal charge.

Reply to
Mzone719

YES---- that is what that means.

The keyway is the PATRIOT ™ and as someone stated take it to your local locksmith who can re-key it for you, thats not the case as the locksmith needs to be a PATRIOT ™ dealer or have access to PATRIOT ™ keyblanks and cards.

The card is a RED, WHITE & BLUE card with the same man with rifle logo on it as well as a 9 digit number starting out with "9J" on it. 9J being the keyblank number.

If you had a card and lost it- a replacement can be obtain from MEDECO™ and be used, while the lost one is removed from their data base, and no longer valid.

The PATRIOT ™ system is alot different from any of the other programs MEDECO™ has in place as the records are updated in real time with medeco- the number of keys EVER cut are logged as to when, where, who & quantity are maintained in a data base forever.

Its a nationwide program with with participating locksmiths.

Reply to
JOCK tec

But I suppose any medeco dealer could rekey it with a non patriot open blank medeco plug right?

or would the pin holes on a different plug not line up with their counterparts in the cylinder?

Reply to
billb

What type of cylinder is it ??? It might just be easier for you to find the closest Medeco authorized locksmith in your area and just replace the cylinder...

Evan the maintenance man

Reply to
Evan

Where did you get this 9J info?, That is NOT a keyway or keyblank. J or JL may designate partial part numbers in Liberty. The Patriot prefixes are 1PA or A1PA for 6 pin, 2PA or A2PA for 5 pin, and 6PA or A6PA for cam and switch locks. If the customer provides a working key and pays the $45 fee to Medeco, a replacement card will be issued, but as far as I know the old card is NOT taken out of the system. As the affidavit says when you sign it, the security of the locking HAS been compromised, and the Medeco recommends rekeying the lock or locks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

it's the kind that fits in a lever lock.

I don't need to replace it cause I have 2 keys, I was just wondering what the rules on it were.

I haven't lost any keys in a zillion years so it probably will never be an issue. hopefully!

Reply to
billb